Chapter Three

One by one, more people started to arrive.  I should’ve known.  Kind of like a welcome home party.  As Brian started paying less and less attention to me, I felt out of place.  I was the only ‘Kid’ here.  I couldn’t drink, nor did I want to.  I had no idea who any of these people were.  I knew they guys and their girls, and that’s it.  My phone buzzed in my pocket, and it was a text from my mom telling me to come home.  I sighed loudly, and put my phone back in my pocket.  Before I could get up to find Brian, he made his way and sat next to me.  “Hey beautiful,” he smiled and leaned in to kiss my cheek.  He reeked of beer and vodka.  I wrinkled my nose up at him.  “What?” he questioned.

                “You’re drunk.” I shot.

                “But I need to tell you something.” He whispered, and went into a giggle fit.

I shook my head, and stood up, walking towards the door.  He grabbed my arm, and spun me to face him.  My chest crashed against his, and I looked up at him.  “I love you.” He said.

I shrugged, “I love you too, Brian.”

He shook his head like an epileptic, “No, silly.  I’m in love with you.  I love you so much it hurts.”

The words of a drunk.  “I need to get home.” I told him.

He grabbed his keys from the table, “Let me drive you.”

I snatched them, “No!  You’re drunk, and you need to go to bed.  Talk to me when you’re sober.” With that, I walked out slamming the door.  He’s really turned into a total jackass these past few hours.

                It was dark outside, and the only lighting I have is the moon and the few street lights on the way.  It took me a good hour to finally get home.  I didn’t mind walking; it just wasn’t the right circumstances.  I walked inside, and slid my jacket down my arms.  I threw it over my shoulder, and made my way upstairs.  I grabbed clothes for a shower, and headed into the bathroom.  I slipped my clothes off, and stepped in.  I let the warm water bead into my skin, helping relax my tensed muscles from that walk.  I stepped back out after turning the shower off, and wrapped a towel around my bare body.  I walked in my room, and closed the door.

                I grabbed my under garments, quickly putting them on, and then a t-shirt and a pair of cotton shorts.  I dried my hair, and braided it.  I climbed into bed, and slowly drifted off into a deep sleep.

“Mom!” I groaned from my room.  I woke up with the worst headache this morning.  I now have a cold from walking home last night.  My nose was stuffed, and my throat was sore.  She came in the room, and sat on my bedside.  She put her hand to my forehead, “You’re running a fever, sweetie.  I’ll bring you some medicine.” With that, she left and would return in a few minutes.  I rolled over, not wanting to move at all.  I threw my cover over my head, wanting to go back to sleep.

                My mom came back, giving me the medicine and soon disappearing again.  I got up to close the curtains, and got back into bed.  I grabbed my laptop sitting on the bedside table, and opened it to Tumblr.  I refreshed the page and instantly regretted it.  Following Avenged Sevenfold fan pages, was not the greatest idea.  There were those pictures the paparazzi took yesterday.   I think I was called every name in the book.  I quickly signed out, and grabbed my phone.  I had a text from Chloe, “Check death bat news.”

I groaned, going onto the page.  “BRIAN’S NEW GIRL?”  Really?  Don’t people know I’m his best friend?  Then I thought about what he said last night.  Which wasn’t true, because he was drunk and he didn’t know what he was even doing?   There were pictures of him holding my hand, which was stupid on his part.  I guess it was a moment of panic though. 

                I slammed the computer shut, and gripped my head.  This can’t be happening.  It’s all a dream.  And I need to wake up.  I heard my door open slowly, and close.  Within seconds I felt someone sit next to me.  “Go away.” I mumbled.

                “That’s not nice.” It was Brian, of course.  I didn’t remove the cover from over me.

He was the last person I wanted to see.  “All of this is your fault.” I told him.

I felt him get more comfortable beside.  “What is?”

                “People hate me now, my best friend turned into a jackass, and now I have a cold because I had to walk home last night because someone was too drunk to drive me.” Do I even mention what was said last night?

                “Wait—what are you even talking about?  Who hates you?  And why am I a jackass?”

I huffed, frustrated because he was completely oblivious.  “Have you not heard all your fans want to rip my head off because they think we are a couple?  And Brian, don’t even get me started.”

He grabbed the cover, pulling it away from my face.  “That’s better, now I can hear you.” 

I turned away from him, attempting to get comfortable again.  “I’m sorry about last night.  I shouldn’t have let you walk home.”

                “That’s not even it.” I said softly.”

He placed a hand on my shoulder, “Then what is it, Jen?”

I turned around so I could face him.  I looked up at him, “You didn’t even acknowledge that I was there.  You ignored me all day, when I was there for you.  So I left.”

                “I’m really sorry.” He whispered.  “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

I shook my head, “You didn’t hurt me, Bri.  You disappointed me.”

                “Well, I’m really sorry and I hope you can forgive me.”

I gave him a smile, “You’re already forgiven.”

He returned the smile, “Good.” He opened his arms, and I slithered into them.  I rested my head on his chest, and he wrapped an arm around my back.  I grabbed my blanket, throwing it over me once again, because I was freezing.  I reached over beside him to grab the remote, and I switched the TV on.  Oxygen was having a Nicholas Sparks movie marathon.  “You’re sitting through all of them.” I informed him.

I felt his chest rumble from a chuckle, “I don’t have a problem with that.”  I snuggled closer to him, and I was instantly warmer.

After the first movie ended, I got up to go to the bathroom.  When I came back, Brian looked like he was looking out into space, so I knew he was thinking about something.  “What are you thinking about?” I asked, getting back in bed next to him.  I rested my head on his shoulder, and looked up at him.  “Um, I didn’t say anything to you last night, did I?”

I looked away from him and directed my attention to the TV.  “No, why?” My eyes wondered around the room for a second until the focused again.

                “No reason.”

Maybe he knows he said something to me last night.