Chapter Twenty-Three;

There was a knock on my bedroom door, and Liam’s voice came through.  “Are you ready?”  I answered with a yeah, and walked over to open the door.  He gave me a smile, before turning around and walking down the stairs.  I wasn’t ready for this party anymore than he was.  We talked about it some, before I fell asleep in the middle of the conversation.  I imagine Liam laughed at me, and then falling asleep himself.  After seeing Brian last night, I had a little hope he would come back to me as my friend.

We stood in front of the house, and I couldn’t move.  I didn’t want to.  I shouldn’t be so nervous, because Brian won’t be there.  But deep inside, I was hoping he would be.  Before I reached for the door, Liam wrapped his fingers around my wrist, pulling me to a stop.  “Don’t worry so much.  Nothing bad is going to happy.” He smiled. “I promise.”

I pushed a small smile.  “And how can you promise that?”

He perked up a little.  “Because I’m here.”

I shook my head playfully, and opened the door.  It wasn’t exactly quiet.  I thought it would be just a small get together, so we can say happy birthday and our goodbyes to the guys again before they leave.  I’m guessing the word got out, and the whole neighborhood is here.  It wasn’t that crowded like it usually is, but it was still hard to get around.

                Liam excused himself, so he could run upstairs and change his clothes.  I found myself wondering into the kitchen, where I found Fallyn putting fresh baked cookies, onto a platter.  “There’s the birthday girl!” she smiled.  She dropped her spatula, and ran over to hug me.  Her arms went around me, giving me a gentle squeeze before releasing me.  “How does it feel?”

I looked at her curiously.  “How does what feel?” I grabbed a cookie, and took a bite of it.

She gave my belly a poke.  “How does it feel to finally be eighteen?”

I shrugged.  “I feel the same, to be honest.  There was only one reason I was looking forward to…”  I let my sentence trail off.

Her face softened, and I could tell she felt bad for saying anything.  “I’m sorry—”

I smiled.  “It’s fine.  No need to be sorry.”

Her lips tugged into a sad smile.  “Speaking of Brian,” she started.  “He’s looking for you.”

My heat fell.  “What?  He said he wasn’t going to be here.”  I felt my cheeks heat up.

She let out a laugh.  “Where exactly would he be?”

                “I don’t know!   Anywhere but here!”

                “But Brian hasn’t missed one of your birthdays—”

I let out a frustrated sigh.  “That was when we were friends.  We aren’t friends anymore!”

Just then the kitchen door swings open and Zack steps through with Brian following.  Zack pulled Fallyn away, and out of the kitchen to show her something.

                I hated being alone with Brian.  I took a step back, leaning my hands against the counter.  I looked down at my shoes, “You said you weren’t going to be here.”

He laughed, and my head shot up.  “Did you really think I wouldn’t be here?  Where did you think I would be?”

I kept my feet planted on the ground.  “I’m sure you heard, I don’t want you here.  So, anywhere would be nice.”

He gestured towards the kitchen door. “Yeah, I heard you yelling.  Not very lady like.  Or not very Jenna like.”

I snapped my mouth shut, and gripped the counter behind me.  “I want you to leave.”