Always, Family - VulGatto

Song in header!

Sal's PoV

2 years had passed since our baby girl was born, it had been 2 years since we had become a family, 2 years that my world had felt complete.

Sitting in our backyard watching our family and friends celebrating her 2nd birthday I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face, standing in the door way at the back of the house I let my eyes drift around taking in the picture perfect scene unfolding in front of me, our families laughing and joking, Q and Murr wrestling on the rented bouncy castle and then Joe, my husband, sitting on the deck  with our baby girl between his legs building towers with Legos. My heart warmed at the sight as I walked towards them and sat behind Joe with my legs either side of him, resting my head on his shoulder watching our little girl laugh as she topples the towers that Joe continues to build for her.

I sigh in content, I honestly can't imagine anything getting better than this. Joe turned his head and placed a small kiss on my cheek; "our baby is growing up Sally" he whispered, pride beaming in his voice "I know baby, she's getting so big" I replied sighing happily wrapping my arms around his waist and kissing his temple "daddy, daddy" Nova giggled handing me a block of Lego "put on, put on" she giggled pointing to the ascending tower "okay baby, daddy will put it on top" I replied smiling as I reached over to place the red block on top of the tower, Nova squealed giggles and clapped her hands before swinging her hand at the tower and watching it topple and scatter as she continued to giggle hysterically and clap her hands.

Later that night

I was exhausted from today, running about making sure everyone was happy and making sure that little Nova was having the best time and don't get me started on the cleaning up afterwards, Joe had told me to leave it till tomorrow but I couldn't stand it, I couldn't leave such a mess. I fell back onto the couch beside Joe who had Nova curled up on his lap almost asleep "I think it's time I take this little lady to bed" he whispered directing with his head to the yawning bundle in his arms I nodded and began to stand up but Joe stopped me "stay here baby, you're exhausted, I'll do it don't worry" I smiled gratefully up at him as he let me place a small kiss on my daughters cheek before he carried her into her bedroom.

About 20mins later Joe still hadn't returned, I crept down the hallway to Novas room to see what the hold up was, as I got nearer to the open door I heard noises, I heard joes hushed voice and Novas soft giggle, I stopped at the doorway and looked in, I saw Joe sitting in Novas bed and she lay beside him giggling as he finished a story he had been reading, I watched as he bent slightly to kiss her forehead and tried to get up "daddy daddy do the song" nova requested, yawning, Joe sighed before giggling and returning to his seat on her bed with her " okay baby girl but then straight to sleep" joe spoke softly to our daughter.

Joe held her close to his body and began to softly sing;

'There's two things I know for sure: she was sent here from heaven and she's daddy's little girl, as I drop to my knees by her bed at night, she talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and I thank god for all of the joy in my life'

Nova sighed contently and closed her eyes, as Joe continued to sing;

'Oh, but most of all, for butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair; "Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride." "I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried." Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right, to deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night.'

I stood in the doorway as Joe continued to sing and finish the song before he stood up carefully and kissed our sleeping daughters forehead. I crept quietly back to the living room knowing fine well that Joe would be embarrassed if he thought I had heard him singing. I slid back onto my position in the couch just as Joe entered the living room "sorry babe, she wanted a story" he chuckled running his hands through his hair and yawning "as usual" I chuckled as Joe slumped onto the sofa beside me and rested his head in my lap staring up at me smiling "what?" I questioned  looking down at him "nothing, just thinking about how lucky I am to have you" he replied, closing his eyes "I'm the lucky one Joey" I whispered in reply before closing my own eyes and drifting off to sleep on the couch.

'She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away. Standing in the bride-room just staring at her. She asked me what I'm thinking and I said "I'm not sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl." She leaned over, Gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there, Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair, "Walk me down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time." "Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry" Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have done something right. To deserve her love every morning and butterfly kisses'