Long Drive - JoeQuinn

A/N Seriously how cute is Joe in the header photo.

QUINNS POV

It was gonna be a long drive back home, but if we didn't leave now we wouldn't make it for Sal's birthday party. I took a long breath and put the car in gear pulling out of the driveway and heading on our way.

"I had fun this week" Joe sighed contently in the passenger seat beside me, forehead resting against the window as he watched the trees pass us by.

"I did too Joe. Was good to get away and not have to worry about anyone interrupting." I chuckled in response.

The next hour of the drive was silent as I focused on the road and Joe stared as though mesmerised by the merging colours of the trees and sky as we drove further from our little escape hatch.

Joe and I had snuck up to my parents cabin for the week, making our separate excuses to our friends and family about where would be before we went MIA. And it was the best week. No pressure, no fear of being caught just simple. Joe and I hadn't put any label on what was going on between us. It was merely a curious accident, that began with a brush of lips against lips during a drunken night at my house. But it set something alight in both of us and so we decided that we owed it to ourselves to test the water and its been going great for the past 2 months but the pressure had been building after a close call with Murray and Sal almost catching us in the act. We had to get away.

A shuffling and huffing from beside me dragged me from my thoughts as I glanced to Joe beside me, shifting his weight continuously and grumbling about something I couldn't quite make out.

"what's up bud?" I questioned raising an eyebrow at him as his eyes met mine.

"I can't get comfy and.. don't call me that" he huffed in response pouting slightly as he moved in his seat again.

"don't call ya what?" I quizzed, confusion clear on my face.

"don't call me bud." he stopped shifting as his gaze met mine.

"whyyyy" I questioned trying to bring a bit of playfulness into the conversation but Joe's face was enough to tear that down and fill the entire car with tension.

"cause buds don't fuck Q. We ain't buds" his voice was firm and it unsettled me a little, we hadn't breached this conversation yet, the what are we? Conversation.. I wasnt entirely sure I was ready for it and so I focused on the road. But feeling Joe's gaze remain on my face let me know that he was ready to have the conversation.

I sighed briefly before pulling into the slip road at the side of the trees and bringing the car to a stop.

"you wanna talk?" I asked, keeping my gaze in front of me. I think it was fear that stopped me looking at the man beside me. I didn't know what we were but I knew that I didn't want it to stop, I hadn't felt like this for anyone in my life.

"what are we man? Like what is this?" joe questioned his hands gesturing between myself and him to reiterate what he meant.

Breathing heavily I turned my body to face him. My eyes locked with his gaze and for a moment I was lost, deep pools of blue holding so many secrets. Out of everyone I've always struggled to read joe. He always looked so strong but his eyes right now showed signs of everything. Fear, excitement, confusion and I'm sure he looked hopeful. I let my gaze drift across his face taking in every detail, his chin littered with stubble as for the week he had forgotten to pack a razor. God he looked good with stubble, his lips pressed to a thin slanted line in confusion. He truly was beautiful. I felt my head shake slightly as I considered the thought of myself finding another man beautiful. But I did.

I must have been staring a little too long cause Joe broke the silence with a whisper of my name. He had asked me a question and I hadn't answered.

"Joe.. I" I began but before I could finish any sort of sentence joe had interrupted.

"you want to stop it, it's fine. I knew it was coming, probably for the best." he blurted out words merging to form one long sentence.

He expected it? Hes been thinking that all this time i'd just up and leave forgetting about how he made me feel.

"what the fuck Joe." I couldnt stop the bitterness in my voice. "you expected it?" I questioned "yep. Of course you did. Why wouldn't you. I'm just Q, fucked up and incapable of loving anyone, isn't that right" I spat, anger bubbling inside of me but I couldn't remove the hurt from my face, the deep sadness in my eyes as his words rang in my ears. "well yno what Joe. I. Love. You. But hearing what you think of me is breaking me" I chocked the rest of the sentence out. It took me till now to realise that of course I was in love with him. He made me feel things noone else had or could.

"bri.." Joe's seemingly small voice echoed in the car "I'm so sorry, I don't think that at all. I was just so scared that you wanted to end this that I got defensive. Call it self preservation" I watched his hands cover his face and heard a soft sob.

I wasn't mad at him, I was mad at myself. God I should have told him. I should have treated him as more than just a fuck, I should have let him know that he meant more to me and with that I grabbed his hands and pulled him across from his seat to mine, his legs resting beside mine as he straddled me.

I wiped the tears from his eyes and pulled his face towards mine capturing his lips in a soft kiss.

Pulling away and staring deep into his eyes I confessed

" I love you Joe" his eyes fluttered closed and he pressed his cheek further into my hand a soft content sigh as he looked back to me.

"i love you too Quinn"

I was complete.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N this is shit but I wanted to upload so sue me.