Chapter 34: Lunch

You turn your head from Mark slightly. "I don't really want to talk about it right now," you say. "Alright, that's fine with me," you heard Mark say. You felt pressure being taken off the couch you both were sitting on. "I'll continue with lunch then. We will figure out what to do with the f/n situation after we have some sustenance in our stomachs. What would you like?" He says. You ponder his question while trying to pull yourself together. "Do you have Mac and cheese?" You ask, turning to look up at him. "No, I don't believe so. How about a salad?" You did your best to lift one eyebrow at him, whilst playfully saying, "I needs some comfort food, not a diet." You saw a small smile spread across his face, cheering you up a little. "How about we compromise and have (cheese)burgers with some vegetables?" He suggests. You shrug, "Ok, I can do that." He gives you a thumbs up and heads into the kitchen to start. A thought crossed your mind. Ever since he meet you, he was the one who did all the work. You felt bad, which led you to get up and follow him. "You don't have to cook for me," you say, "I thank you for when you took care of me but I'm a young adult and I can help you with things like this." Mark turned from the freezer door, meat in hand, to look at you. "Alright then. Would you please chop up some lettuce, and any other vegetables in the fridge please?" he asks moving out of the way of the fridge. You nodded and opened the fridge door. After a few seconds of rummaging, you pull out the lettuce and onions. You shut the door gently with your foot and walk over to the table to unload. After which, you ask, "Uh, where do you keep the knives?" Mark turns around with mock fear and asks, "Why? Are you going to stab me in the butt?!" "No no no!" You say innocently, shaking your hands, palms facing him, in front of you, "I just need to cut up these veggies and I don't know where you keep your silverware." He chuckled and pointed to a drawer. "I'm just playing with you y/n. Also, here. You'll need this," he says and hands out a cutting board. Nervously chuckling, you take the board and found a knife to assist you in your task.

~Time Skip to after the meal~

You wipe your mouth with a napkin after you ate your bite of lunch. During lunch, you remained quite. After all, you were planning on what to do with the f/n being attacked by c/n situation. You exhale a deep breath in an attempt to think more clearly. "Mark, help me figure out what to do about the situation," you say, facing him and watching him take a sip of his drink. After he emptied his mouth, he replied, "Nothing. You do nothing." You stiffen with shock, "W-what? I can't do nothing while my friend my be in critical condition." The last part was said with a helpless tone. "F/n said that your cousin will try to contact you. If you call, you might talk to c/n." Mark said solemnly. You hung your head, defeated. "You're right." You felt your fingers form a fist. "I just wish I could do something to help." "Y/n, please look at me," you hear Mark say. Feeling new tears forming in your eyes, you look up at your hero. He had a small, half remorseful, half hopeful, smile. "F/n and I wanted you away from her so you could be safe. She knew that she would probably be attacked sooner or later, but I believe she would rather you do nothing than risk your new place safety. I know how horrible it is to be hopeless when a loved one is in danger." He paused to looked away for a second. For a split second, he had a flash of an emotion that tugged at your heart. He then faced you and continued, "Think of it this way, if you interfere, her attempts to protect you would be in vain." You clamp your teeth together at Mark's words. You exhale and looked into his eyes. "What should I do in the meantime?" You ask, hoping for some comfort in his words. It was Mark's turn to exhale, "I would say, to try and get comfortable here." You nodded solemnly. "Alright, I'll get myself situated." You stand up from your chair and gather the used dishes. "I'll take care of these," you say as you started for the sink. "Uh, y/n, there is something very important that I must tell you," Mark said from the table. You turned to face him, thinking it might be about f/n. "What?" you asked worriedly. "I do have a dishwasher, if you want to use it."