All's Fair In Love and More Love

UberHaxorNova/James WIlsonX Reader, T, approx 2900 words, reference to injuries and blood but nothing overly graphic

Reader (In first person perspective btw) is in the Marines and has been dating James for a long time. She is finishing up her last tour of duty and is surprising her boyfriend at a convention. Little does she know, he has a surprise of his own.

I do not own any piece of The Creatures and I am simply stating that this is a work of fiction and holds no reality to it beyond being an imagine/reader insert.

Please feel free to send me requests or suggestions, I'd love to make more of these with things you guys would like to see, I hope you enjoy :)

"Just, promise me you'll come back in one piece, okay?"

Most of Gate 7 at Denver International Airport was jam packed with loved ones saying goodbye to another shipment of Marines. Soft cries and hushed whispers of promises of returns could be heard all around. I breathed in the scent of cologne and mint that I had become so accustomed to before answering his plea.

"I'll do everything in my power to come back to you James, I've done it three times before and I'll do it one more time." I leaned back, tears in my eyes, and he had his own tear tracks. "It's only 18 months, then I'll be back for good." He nodded, swallowing his despair and coughing out a sob.

Jordan placed a hand on his shoulder, silently asking James to give me a chance to say goodbyes to the small group behind us. Slowly, we separated, and I began the hardest goodbyes of my life.

The night before, the entire office had sent me off with a dinner and I said goodbye to all of them then, but they had made the trip to say one extra goodbye. I hugged Aleks tightly, "I don't know if I've ever told you how much I owe you, it's because of you that I have everyone in my life, thank you, Aleks."

Aleks had been the person that introduced me to everyone. He was the one that got me into a couple of streams, and he was the reason I had so many people to say goodbye too. We had met in high school, he was a brother to me. He and I had spent so much time together that our parents joked about adopting one another.

He was also the one that introduced me to James.

Aleks hugged me, whispering back, "And you better be back to continue that life." I didn't promise anything, simply assuring him that I would do my best. I had seen too many people break their promises of coming back to do the same to the people that I loved.

I didn't have much time left before I would be dragged onto the plane by my squad, so I continued my goodbyes. Aleks pretended he wasn't crying, and Stefani, joked about me joining them officially when I got back, hugged in an attempt to comfort each other, Dan and Intern Joe handed me letters they had written, making me promise for the umpteenth time to write whenever possible, Artist Joe promised to make sure my dog, Aileen, was taken care of by him and Intern Joe and to write to me.

I faced Jordan, who through extended nights of writing and drinking, I had become especially close too, sometimes looking at him like a father figure that I hadn't had since I was a child. Even though he was only a year older than me. He was slightly teary as I hugged him, "Don't forget you have a position to start when you get back." He said softly, and I smiled despite my tears.

A few weeks prior, when I had known definitely when I would be leaving again, Jordan called me for a meeting, I had thought he wanted to discuss some short ideas I had mentioned to him, but to my surprise, he had offered me a permanent position in The Creatures. "You've got a home here, Y/N, one that we want you to have when you get back."