24:Vern Imagine

"Hey, Y/N!" you heard a familiar voice call out from your right.

You turned to see your neighbor's cousin, Vern, walking towards you. You liked Vern. A lot. But it wasn't like anyone knew because quite frankly, you didn't trust anyone with that kind of secret.

"Oh, hey Vern," you replied, as he sat down beside you on your front steps. "Jack too much for you?" You giggled a little, referring to his intense little cousin.

"My parents dragged me over here because they wanted to visit with my aunt," he lowered his voice, as if there was someone listening in that shouldn't have been and continued. "You know how her husband just up and left her. And he's about the third to do just that." He shook his head on disgust, and you nodded in agreement to his emotions. "Well, they thought I should 'play' with Jack, but he's barely 6, and all he does is jump around."

"True," you affirmed. "That kid must eat nothing but sugar. I din't see how your aunt can deal with him on top of everything else." You awkwardly smoothed your skirt.

"If I married a girl, I'd never leave her like that," he declared, surprising you with his statement. "Even if I didn't really love her anymore. Maybe if we both didn't like each other anymore, then I would leave her, but not if she loved me a lot."

Vern had a faraway look in his eyes. He was gazing out on front of him.

There was a special silence that settled over both, the only noises heard being those of birds and softly rustling leaves.

You decided to take a chance and lay your head on Vern's shoulder. Surprisingly, he put his arm around your shoulders, pulling you closer.

"I'd never leave you, Y/N," he whispered. "Never."

Just then your front door burst open, and your mom was just stepping out the doorway. You both jumped and scooted away from each other, hearts beating fast, eyes wide with something like guilt.

"What're you kids doing out here?" your mon asked, her eyebrows cocked in a quizzical manner. "You two look as if you've just buried a body in the yard."

You and Vern just blushed, nearly simultaneously, and exchanged a glance.

Hey! I haven't updated in a while, and especially not a Vern imagine. I kind of like this one. Anyway, I hope y'all liked it. M'kay.

~Mariah