155:Vern Imagine

Based on "Valerie Loves Me" by Material Issue (bc I wanted to expand on that preference I did)

Vern sighed, watching you walk down the hallway, laughing at something your boyfriend had said. He shut his locker, mad for letting himself pine for you when he knew it was hopeless.

Why was it hopeless? A) You were two years older than him, B) you were known to only date jocks or guys of the sort, and C) you had made it pretty clear that you saw Vern as nothing more than a neighbor kid.

He knew of your less than savory reputation, but he also knew that you had had even worse boyfriends. He still thought of you as the nice girl that helped him when he scraped his knee after crashing his bike back in elementary school. You had always been sweet to him, but he knew this was nothing more than common courtesy.

So he tortured himself everyday until you graduated. Even after that, he still thought of you often, but his pining thoughts of you came less and less as the months flew by.

He met another girl. She looked at him the same way he looked at her, and he loved her, as she did him. She was everything he never knew he wanted, and she became his entire world.

It wasn't long before they got married. They were eternally each others.

Then it was Christmas time, and you were both home, visiting. Back, right next door to each other.

The family all together in your parents' house had become to much for you, despite and because you had not seen them all in so long. You stepped out onto the front porch, wiping away some of the snow on the step to sit down.

The sound of a door opening and closing prompted you to look over at the Tessio house. Vern stood on their front porch, looking so different yet so familiar.

He glanced your way, hardly believing his eyes. "Y/n?" He stepped off the porch and walked over to you.

You stood up, glad to see someone you didn't have a strained history with. "Vern Tessio? My goodness, I hardly recognized you."

He laughed. "Yeah, I've lost most of my baby fat since my early high school days."

"Well, you look great," you replied, unable to lose the smile from your face.

"You do too. I mean, I thought you were pretty when we were kids, but you still look amazing," he gushed. "Your husband is one lucky guy."

You smiled kindly. "He would be, if I was married. My husband and I divorced a few years ago."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to be insensitive."

"No, you're fine," you laughed it off. "It must've been because my hair was graying. He was always weird about aging."

"Well, I, for one, think your hair looks nice like that."

Just then the door of his parents' home opened and a woman with a toddler on her hip stepped out. "Oh there you are. We're about to open presents, honey."

Vern smiled and nodded. "Oh, Y/n, that's my wife, Meg, and my daughter, Lou."

And that was when the pit formed and sank in your stomach.

He turned toward her again. "Honey, come here for a second. This is Y/n Y/l/n. We grew up together. Her family has lived next door to mine since before I can even remember."

How was it that after years of never even considering the little kid next door, you were now close to heartbroken knowing he could never be yours?

Woot. Another imagine for my underappreciated child. Who else likes to read sad crap?? Apparently I like to make other ppl read it bc I keep writing stuff like this ??? Like what's my problem?? Y'all should send in preference requests please and thank you. M'kay.

~Mariah