Chapter 48

Tobias pov:
Nita finally told us where Jeremy and tris are. It is nearly 3 am now and we had to use truth serum but now we have the adress. It's about a seven hour drive from here. David gives us a truck so we all could go. While Matthew Caleb and I go with David to get the car the others get food and water, medical suplies, weapons and some changing clothes.
David insists that we first take a long sleep so we are well rested. We all agree after a long discussion and lay down. I lie sleepless on my cot. Indie sleeps in my arms and everyone else seems to be asleep as well. The backpacks are ready in the corner of the room. I close my eyes, knowing that i need to rest and drift into sleep.

The next morning Shauna shakes me awake. "Come on Tobias. Time to get up. Breakfast is ready." I nod and get up. Christina just comes back with indie at the leash, she probably took him for a walk. Zeke is in the other corner and wakes uri up. Marlene is up as well, so are caleb, Cara, Shauna and Nina. Matthew still sleeps and Will as well. I wake up Will while Nina wakes Matthew. When everyone is awake we eat breakfat and then everyone gets dressed. When i check my watch i see that its already 10 am. Everyone gets a few more minutes.

We meet fifteen minutes later infront of the bureau. I drive the truck and everyone gets in at in the back. I hear indie barking and Christina shushing him. Matthew and Caleb sit at the front with me. Matthew has this thing called a navigator and Caleb has a map, just to be sure. Matthew types in the destination and then we are off.
I race down the street.

After one and a half hour Matthew and i change and Matthew continues driving. The navigator leads us deep into the fringe. We pass rotten houses and people. Sometimes there is a nice house in between the broken ones.

Another half an hour later Caleb continues driving. Suddenly the navigator beeps. Matthew takes it and looks at it confused. "What is it?" I ask. He frowns. "Looks like we drove wrong about half an hour ago." "And this thing is telling us that NOW?" I ask. Matthew shrugs and Caleb turns the truck around. I glare at the navigator and we just keep driving. (a/n just for your orientation: this is the day tris tryed to escape at the morning but failed and then had to work the whole day.)
We drive for a much longer time and it starts to get dark. The stupid navigator now already says for an hour that we should arrive in three houres.

Its pitch black outside now. There are no lanterns because we are driving through abandoned land. My watch says that its around midnight now and the navigator finally decided that its only two houres from here. We just stopped so everyone could pee, we are eating while we a driving.
We all get into the truck and Zeke squeezes next to me at the front. He smiles at me resuringly and i try to return it.

We drive and drive and drive. Its nearly 3 am now. Its my turn to drive and everyone is asleep, ecxept from zeke and me. We keep talking in whispers. The navigator now says that we'll arrive in half an hour. I turned the lights off so we wouldn't draw to much attention to us.
A bit after 3 am we turn around another corner and i can see a small village ahead of us. Its pretty dark around us now. I can't really see far. Then suddenly there is car light right infront of us. I try to brake but it's to late. The brakes screech and then there is loud bang. We collided with this car! Zeke screams and everyone wakes up. Immediatly the whole truck is full of voices. "Are we there?" "What happend?" "Where are we?" "Why are we stopping?" "Why did Zeke scream like a girl?" "Why did he scream at all?" I jump out of the truck and run to the other car. The whole front of that car is crashed. First i see no one but then i see a women laying on the back seat. She is covered in blood. I gasp. "Guys! I need help!" I shout and try to open the back door. Immediatly Uriah and zeke are by my side and together we rib the door out. We throw it away. I crawl into the car and carefully and slowly pull out the limp body. Someone got a flash light and makes light. I pull her out and then Cara gasps. "W-w-what tattoo did tris have again?" She stutters. "Three ravens why?" I look at the woman and then nearly drop her. Her shirt is ripped and a tattoo of three ravens peeks through the fabric. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no..." i mutter and run to the truck. We turn on the light in the truck and i gasp in shock when i recognise her. I start to cry. "Let matthew and Nina take care of her." Zeke says and pushes me away. Nina already ripped Tris shirt completly. "I can help as well, i worked as a nurse for a few months." Cara says and then the truck door gets closed. I can't breath. I hit her! With a truck! Why didn't i turn on the head lights? Why didn't i? I choke and Zeke runs over to me. "Everything will be fine!" I can't take it any longer and then scream: "How? How is everything going to be 'fine'? Huh? You don't know whether it will be! You don't know!" I press my palms into my eyes and sink to the floor. I rock myself back and forth and try to release the pressure in my chest.
Suddenly i hear a car engine. The car lights come closer and then stop right infront of us. Out steps no one else then Jeremy! Before anyone can hold me back i jumped up and sprint towards him. When he recognises me his eyes grow wide. He trys to get back into the car but i am faster. I take him by the collar of his shirt and punch him in the face. "This is for Tris! You asshole!" I let him fall on the floor. I keep punching him and scream: "You filthy piece of shit! You shift-face! I hate you!" A lot of hands try to push me down from Jeremy. In the end they suceed and i stop. "Well, that is what you call bad timing..." zeke jokes but i don't laugh, no one does. I get up and walk away. First i walk, then jog and in the end i sprint over to a tree and start to punch the tree. My knuckels split and blood trickels down my hand but i don't stop. I keep punching the tree till i can't feel my hands. I slide down the tree and start to sob. Someone steps next to me. I don't look up. I don't care who it is. The someone sits down next to me and like this we sit for a long time.

Aaand another cliffhanger, i am sorry.
Hope you liked it

Jojo ♡