Chapter 84

(Same day)
Andrew pov:
I park my bicycle next to Luis. He already ran inside. Nath is still at the corner and talks to Julia. They are unseperable. I lock my bike and then follow luis inside. Since dad has his short working day today he already waits for me when i step in. I can't quiet meet his eyes. I know i will have to give him a good reason why he lied now. "Hello Andrew." He says. I finally quickly glance at him. "Hey dad." "How was your day?" Mh, why wouldn't he just ask me straight away what the call meant? Oh of course. We are waiting for Nath. "It was fine. How was yours?" He nods. "Fine as well." I chew the inside of my cheek. "Can i go upstairs now?" He shakes his head. "We are waiting for your sister." I sigh and take off my shoes before i sit down at the table.
Nath enters a few minutes later. She still smiles although her smile falters a bit when she sees dad and me sitting at the table - waiting for her. She sits next to me. "Hey dad. Whats up?" She asks smiling. He leans back. "So andrew. I didn't know you have a concert on saturday..." "Oh yeah about that..." i respond and wait for nath to help me. She is the one who is good at talking. She picks up my hint and nods. "Well. Mrs Jason caught An and me in the music room while he was playing the piano." Dad turns to me. "Why were you playing? Tris and me told you not to play during school time, espacially not during periods." I look on the floor to hide my red cheeks. How can i explain why i was angry without revealing that soph has a boyfriend now? Nath takes the lead once again. "Something he saw made him angry and he wanted to let that anger out. I think its good that he plays piano rather than hit someone when he is angry." Luckily we have the best dad ever and he lets us go without more questioning. He will tell mum though and i am sure she won't be so forgiving. She always fears that i will become a total outsider but what she doesn't know - i kind of already became one. I don't really know why. I mean - sure in our group i am the oldest and because of that have some kind of leader function but apart from Jonas i don't really have someone i trust. Ok maybe apart from Nath and luis and kind of soph. Okay maybe i am not a real outsider, maybe i just sometimes feel like one. Nath highfives me and then disapears in her room while i go into mine. The others wrote in our group chat that we will disarrange our 'meeting' for tomorrow because Jonas and Josephine have to do something with their parents and Soph wanted to spend time with her new boyfriend. Auston. Ugh. Stupid Auston.
I am only happy when my piano teacher comes and we vanish in the livingroom so i can practice. This is one of my favourite times of the day. The whole house is quiet and everyone else talks in hushed voices and so i can just vanish in my music. I love it.

"Kids! Your mom is here!" Dad shouts from downstairs. I turn up the volume of my piano and hear the tones getting louder in my headphones. I smile and let my fingers randomly touch the keys. I smile wider but it falters when i realise what i automaticly started playing: the piece i wrote for soph. In one movement i push my headphones down from my head so they land on my piano with a loud noise. I am so angry. I just want to punch something. I fall onto my bed and feel tears pricking behind my eyes. I won't cry! Wait. Today is tuesday. On tuesdays Luis and dad always train. I jump up. I nearly never train with them anymore but i used to when i was smaller. I put on my sports clothing and run downstairs. I have so much anger inside of me - i just have to release that. I say mom a brief hello and then run outside. Dad and luis stand infront of each other. Luis has his fist up and wears boxing gloves. Dad wears those other things. I don't know what they are called and stands ready to block luis punches. "Can i join you?" Dad turns around and smiles. "Of course champ. Come here." Luis nods eagerly. He loves proving that he is stronger than me. But i stopped fighting about five years ago and for him fighting is like playing the piano for me. I step infront of dad instead of luis and he gives me two boxing gloves. "To protect your fingers." Dad says and winks at me. I nod and put them on. And then i already start attacking. Dad - suprised of my sudden attack - falls back a few steps before he secures his stand and leans against my attack. He keeps instructing me how to do better. "Right now. Turn more like that. Left foot forward." I immediatly change my position whenever he says something.
After only ten minutes i am covered in sweat. "Ok thats enough for now." Dad says and i let my fist down. "Good job An. I think this was the best session you ever did." I flash him a small smile. "Thanks." He lightly punches my shoulder. "You okay?" I just nod. Before he can ask further Nath hops into the garden. "My turn daddy." Dad pats my shoulder once more before he turns to Nath. "Yeah princess. Your turn." Nath grins. "I might be a princess, but a princess who can kick you ass." I laugh a bit. "You truly are." She laughs as well. "I'm going in again." Just before i enter luis holds me back by my shirt. "Wait a second An." I turn around again. Suddenly luis wraps his arms around my neck and hugs me. I am suprised at first bit then hug back. After luis unwraped his arms again he smiles. "What ever bothered you is not so important. You shouldn't be so upset about it." I smile and ruffel his hair. "Thank you." He grins. "And now go and kick dads ass." He laughs and nods. "I'll kick his ass for you." I grin as well and softly push his shoulder before he jogs over to nath and dad who are already training again.
Mum greets me inside with a quick hug. "Should we talk later?" I nod - relief floading me. "Thank you." She just smiles. "Will you train with dad?" She shrugs. "If he isn't too afraid." I laugh. "I bet he is." She laughs as well. "Go take a shower. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes." I nod and then disapear in my room.
Once i am ready i look out of the window. Mum and dad are training together. Mum attempts to kick dads stomach but he dodges the kick and trys to kick her leg. She jumps up and the kick goes in thin air. This goes on and they barely even touch eachother because they anticipate ever move of the other. I smile. They just know eachother to well. Mum tries to punch dad in the chest but he stops her fiat in thin air. She grins at him and he grins back. Then he slowly leans down and kisses mum. I see luis who pretends to vomit and nath who just laughs. I think its kind of cute that they are still so in love. They are married for such a long time but still love eachother. I want that. Exactly that. I sigh and turn away from the window. I sit down at my keyboard and put on my headphones. I start with an easy piece and then go over to harder ones.
I wake out of my trance by someone tapping my shoulder. I jump a bit and whip around. My headphones slip on my shoulders. Nath stands behind me and laughs. "Come on. Dinner is ready." I roll my eyes. "Okay okay." She laughs and i grin as well.

Downstairs luis and mum already sit at the table. Dad still is in the kitchen. I slump down next to luis and mess up his hair. Nath sits across from me. Mum and dad each sit at a head of the table. Dad enters the room with a steaming pot. "Here we go everyone." He says and places the pot in the middle of the table. In it are Spagetti. "Mh yum. I am starving." Luis says and reachs over to the pot. Dad stops him. "Luis what did you forget?" Luis sighs and leans back. I laugh a bit and take his and dad hand. Dad takes naths. Nath takes mums and mum takes luis. Mum says the short prayer and then luis jumps on the food. I smile to myself. How does this little chaot make me smile every second?

After a dinner full of talking and delicious food i sit on the couch with nath. Luis is in his room and mum and dad stand across from us. "Why did you skip classes?" Mum asks. Striaght to the point... okay then. Nath straightens and opens her mouth but before she can start mum stops her. "No wait nathalie. I want andrew to answer." My head shoots up. Shit! Normally nath always speaks for me. I am no good at this. "Ehm well we... I... Nath and I..." mum raises her eyebrows. I curse myself and clear my throat. "Okay. So it was break and i just played a bit on the school piano. And i am allowed to do this. You know. Mrs davison personally allowed it to me. You were with me both of you. And..." nath steps on my toe. I stop in my sentence. "Well whatever. So i played on the piano in the break. And then i normally walked out to go to my lesson. But then i ehm... I... I saw something that made me angry and so i went back and started playing again. Nath found me and she stayed with me because she noticed how... well how angry i was. And then i just kept playing because i still was angry. And - and then i-we didn't notice that the lesson started and then this stupid mrs Jason caught us."
When i finished my explanation mum looks at me with kind eyes. "But what made you so angry? Did another kid say something?" I quickly shake my head. "No it was because... because..." my voice trails off. "It had something to do with soph. Okay? Is that enough?" I suddenly snap. I jump to my feet. "Can i go now?" Mum gives me a quick nod. I turn around and with fast steps cross the living room. When i'm just standing in the doorway dad says: "An..." i turn around and snap: "What?" "I just wanted to say that i am sorry. About what happend." It feels like something inside me deflated. My shoulders hunch over. "Thanks dad." I mumble and then vanish in my room.

I pull my blanket up to my chin and stare out of the window. I can see a few stars from my bed. I sigh. Soph... My thoughts naturally wander to her. Why didn't i ask her out? Why didn't i tell her what i feel? Again i feel my eyes burn but i don't want to cry.
Someone knocks on my door - making my thoughts vanish. I frown. Who would knock at my door at - i look at my clock - 11 pm? Probably luis. Or Nath. "Come in." I say and move my head to look at the door. But who enters is neither luis nor nath. Its mum. "Mum? What is it?" She smiles a bit. Every time she smiles she looks twenty years younger. I mean she is not really old but then she looks like she is 20 again. I manage a small smile back at her. She sits at my bed and strokes my forehead. "I just wanted to see what troubled you so much. You seemed so..." she sighs and her hand goes through my hair. I sigh as well and press my head closer into her hand. "I saw soph and she... she has a boyfriend now. Its auston. He is one of the football players. He is a stereotype football player. He looks good. Obviously he is sporty. But he is kind of dump. And really... i don't know just weird." Mum strokes my hair again. "Oh An... If he really is as weird and strange as you said soph will notice and then you can use your chance." I slowly nod. "And just try to be a bit more self confident. Just man up and maybe even ask a different girl out." "But mum i would never dare to do this. I mean look at me i am..." i stop in my sentence and sigh again. "An i know you probably won't believe me but you really are good looking. Your dad was the same. He was really shy even if he didn't appear to be at first. But I mean look at him. Well okay. You just have to be more self confident." I look at her. Am i good looking? She smiles a bit. "Sleep now." She kisses my forehead and stands up. "Thanks mum." I say once she already stands in the door. She smiles again. "No problem." Then she closes the door behind her. I nuzzle myself deeper into the blankets and close my eyes. Soon dreams full of sophie and music fill my brain.