Chapter 3

“Rebecca! Wake up! You’re going to be late for school!” I heard my mom yell from the hallway.

I sleepily rolled over and took a peek at my phone, only to reveal that it was already 7 am. “OH MY GOD!” I screamed as I scurried around my room trying to get dressed. I threw on a black skirt and an oversized hoodie, along with my vans, and sprinted to the bathroom to brush my teeth and try to tame my wild curls. By 7:20 I was downstairs in the kitchen, still panicking. My mom handed me my lunch, and I grunted a sleepy ‘goodbye’ as I ran out the door to my car and practically sped to school.

I arrived at 7:48, 2 minutes before the tardy bell rang. I mustered up all the energy I could find and began to sprint to my third floor English class. Half way up the second flight of stairs the bell rings, and I halt in terror. I had never been late to class, and the thought of walking in after everyone else was already seated terrified me to no end.

Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I freeze. My first thought that it was a principal going to give me detention for being late, but when I turned around I was not prepared for who was standing there. Michael Clifford.

“Are you okay Rebecca?” He asks. I was shocked to hear that he had an Australian accent. No wonder he was so popular. “You’re shaking awfully hard…” his raspy voice trails off as I start to calm down.

“Um yeah I’m fine um I was just worried about being late… Wait what are you doing in the halls at this time?” I blurted out.

Michael gave a quick laugh, and reassured me that it’s fine to be late every once and a while. “Where are you heading?” He asked me.

“Uhhh English, Mrs. Duke’s class.” I said hesitantly.

“Let me take you there, please? I had her last year, I’ll tell her I dropped my things and you were helping me, so you don’t get a detention.”

“Michael, you don’t even know me… Why are you doing this?”

“Because I want to help you.”

Help me with what? The fact that I’m always sad? The fact that I’m late? And more importantly, why?

“Ummm okay, I guess you can take me then… Thank you…” I muttered.

“Great! Can I carry your backpack for you? Please?” He asked giving me puppy dog eyes.

I cracked a smile before handing over my pink and white floral print backpack, which he slipped on his back and began to walk the rest of the way to my English class. I giggled as a followed slightly behind him, as it isn’t every day that you see one of the most popular seniors wearing a girls backpack.

Michael opened the door to Mrs. Duke’s room, and the class fell silent. He explained how I was “helping” him in the hallway, before handing me back my bag and giving me a quick wink, and telling me that he’d text me after school. Every single person in the class was staring, and I heard a few whispers involving my name. I quickly shuffled to my seat and put my head down in embarrassment as Michael left the room. What is this guy’s deal?

-Hey y’all! Sorry I haven’t updated in a few days! I started school this week, and it’s been pretty rough. Anyways, I hit 100 reads within 2 days of posting the first chapter which is absolutely crazy! A huge thank you to everyone who’s read this! As always, feel free to vote, and please comment telling me what I’m doing good/bad with the story! Rebecca<3-