Epilogue

Michael’s POV

“Rebecca, my darling, I’m so proud of you. You went through so much, and you are so strong. Ever since the first time I saw you at school I thought you were beautiful. Your blue eyes were so vibrant, your hair was so long, your smile, which was rare at the time, was so adorable. Every single day you managed to make me smile. Everything you do is amazing, from your voice, which you claim is awful, to your willpower to recover, everything is perfect. I’m so glad that you decided to get better, not only for me, but for yourself….” My voice trailed off as I adjusted my position on the grass. I was now laying next to her on my back. 

“I guess what I’ve been trying to say for the last few minutes is that I love you. I have for the longest time, and I promise you that I always will. As cheesy as it sounds, you are the other half of me, my missing puzzle piece. Oh God,” I cringed, “that was actually really pathetic on my part, I apologize.” I said with a slight chuckle. 

I lay in silence for a while, decided what to say next.

“You just make me so happy. I can’t even explain it. Remember that time when we first hung out? You were so reluctant to talk to me, you kept insisting that it was all a joke.” I paused and gave a faint smile. “I remember being  so distraught. All I wanted was to be able to talk to you, there was just something about you that pulled me in. I’m so glad I got the courage to talk to you. It was probably the best decision of my whole life.”

I began listing off other memories the two of us had shared in time we had known each other. Being reunited at rehab, our first “date,” when I asked her out. The list went on and on. I also recalled the bad times. All the nights when I found her curled up on the bathroom floor covered in her own blood, all the times she turned away food, all the times she was too scared to tell me how she felt. I wish she had always been honest, always told me what was going on in her mind. Things would have been so much easier. But I guess that’s not how things work. Life isn’t meant to be easy, but it should never be as hard as it was for her.

Sighing, I stood up, dusting off my jeans as I lay a bouquet of flowers at my beautiful girlfriend’s grave.

“IT’S JUST NOT FAIR!” I yelled to no one in particular. “It’s just not fair that someone as perfect as you had such a hard time. It’s not fair that someone as perfect as you could hate themselves so much that they’d take their own life!” I collapsed on my knees and began crying for what felt like the hundredth time that month.

I had gotten the news one day whilst I was away at college. My phone had started ringing during practice with my new band, and seeing as it was 3 am in America where my mom was, I decided to answer it, in case something was wrong.

Well, something was definitely wrong. Rebecca’s mom had found her laying on the bathroom floor, the same way I had so many times before. Except this time, she wasn’t crying in my arms, she wasn’t shaking her head the way she normally did. No, this time she was dead. 

I had really thought that she was better, in fact, everyone did. Apparently when she returned to school after I left, things got really bad. Rumours of her whereabouts had spread like mad, and the things people had said to and about her were just awful.

I knew this was all my fault. I knew I shouldn’t have left. If I had still been there, she could have come to me instead of ending her own life. 

Suicide had crossed my mind numerous times since I’d heard the news. It was all I could think of on the flight home from Australia. I honestly did deserve to die, it was my fault that she was now gone. However, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I knew Rebecca would never want that, so for her, I was trying to stay strong.

I took one last look at her grave before turning around and walking to my car. The drive home seemed to take twice as long as normal, but I didn’t mind. The quiet was nice. People were constantly coming to our house to give their sympathy, which I didn’t want. All I wanted was for my girlfriend, the girl I love, to be here with me.

I pulled over when I saw a familiar spot, and made my way into the woods. I soon emerged atop a cliff, where I had taken Rebecca many times. I pictured her being here with me, the two of us laying in the grass watching the sun set. A meek smile appeared on my face, and I closed my eyes, imaging holding her hand and listening to her giggle. I silently dozed off into a deep sleep in the special place where we had shared such amazing memories, thinking about how much I love Rebecca, and how much I always will love her.

—————

Wow sorry for that… This was actually the plan from the very beginning, and I’m sorry that it’s so awfully written but I just couldn’t word anything the way I wanted it to sound. If anybody ever feels upset or just needs to talk, my inbox is always open, and I will always be here to talk to you.

Thank you guys so much for all the comments and votes, and thank you for reading I Promise! I really hope you guys liked the story, at least a little bit. I’m actually really sad now that it’s done, because I’ve been writing this since August so writing this has kinda become a part of my routine.

Well, that’s pretty much all I have to say. Please leave a comment telling me your favourite thing that happened in the story, I’m really curious as to what people liked!