Chapter 4

Michal and I continued texting for the next few weeks, and got to know each other pretty well. We didn’t talk much at school, even though he often tried to start a conversation. I  always made some excuse to get away every time he tried to talk to me, and to be honest I don’t know why I did it. I guess I was just a bit hesitant of the whole situation still.

My therapist began to notice a difference in the way I was acting, and decided to question me on it. “You see happier, Rebecca. Is there a reason why?”

“Umm no?” I quietly murmered. “I just... uh… like this cold weather.”

No way was I going to tell her about Michael. The truth is, he actually did make me happy. Something that no one had been able to accomplish in a long time. I don’t know what it was about him, but every time we texted I forgot about all my worries, and I actually cracked a few smiles every now and then.

I decided it was time to get to properly know Michael, which is why I decided that the next day at school I would talk to him. I wouldn’t run away pretending I forgot something in my last class, I would just face my fears and let him speak.

*The next day at school*

“Hey Rebecca!” I was greeted by a smiling Michael as I walked into the building.

“Hey Michael…” I nearly whispered back as I pulled down my sleeves and adjusted my backpack.

“So um... I was wondering if you wanted to like study together after school or something?” Michael asked whilst scratching the back of his head.

“But we don’t have any classes together!” I giggled back. That’s new. I don’t remember the last time I giggled.

“Well, I said ‘or something’ as well! We could just hang out or whatever.” He said while laughing.

I stood there looking at my shoes. I started to panic, because even though it wasn’t a date or anything I’d still never hung out with a boy. Especially one who was this attractive.

“Um I don’t know how my mom would feel if I brought  a boy home…” I lied.

“You could always come around to mine, though, my parents will both be at work until dinner time anyways…” His voice trailed off.

I guess I was stuck now. “You know what, I’ll go.” I said with a smile. I wasn’t too keen on being there without his parents, but then again I know that he isn’t interested in me in that way. I still don’t know why he’s being so nice to me though, but I figured I’ll just go with it.

I quickly texted my mom that I was driving to the library after school to study for a major test so I wouldn’t be home until late, and she said it was fine, and to take as long as I need.

The school day went by quickly, and before I knew it, it was time to go to Michael’s house.

-Sorry for the filler chapter! I promise things will pick up soon! I’d appreciate any comments telling me what you think of it! Thanks for reading! :-) Rebecca-