Chapter 20

I woke up the next morning to Michael playing with my hair and singing quietly. He must have noticed that I had awoken, because he stopped his actions.

"Good morning," I whispered, barely audible.

"Good morning babe," he mumbled back, flipping me around to give me a kiss.

I giggled before releasing myself from his grasp and walking over to where I had left my phone the previous night.

I realised that it was almost time for class to start, and began to nag Michael.

"Michael! Classes start in 15 minutes! We need to hurry!"

I looked over at him and was confused by the look on his face. Michael didn't see to be one to fret over being late for class, so the look of worry that he was displaying was quite alarming.

"Ummm what's wrong?" I asked.

"Rebecca.. You do realise that we broke one of the biggest rules here, right?"

As if on queue, there was a knock on Michael's door.

He threw on the first shirt he found and went to open the door. He was greeted by Genevieve, who along with being my personal therapist was our floor counsellor.

Michael and I exchanged a guilty look before inviting her in. The three of us stood staring at each other before she finally spoke.

"Michael, I know that you know the rules here, as you've been with us for a while. Rebecca, I'm sure you're familiar with them too, primarily no girls sleeping in boys rooms and vice versa?"

I stared at my feet, as Michael grabbed my hand and gently squeezed it.

"Yes Gen, we both know.. I'm sorry, I'll take all the blame for this one. It's all my fault, honestly," Michael rambled.

"Relax both of you! Neither of you are in trouble at all. In most situations you probably would be, but since Rebecca is one of my patients I will allow this. Just don't tell anyone else. That includes students and staff." She said with a slight smirk.

"Oh, and Michael can I have a word with you?"

"Uhhh sure Gen," he said, looking confused.

Genevieve said she would excuse is from our first class since it was her fault we would be late, so I headed back to my room to get ready for the day.

Michael's POV

I was slightly confused as to why Genevieve wanted to talk to me, but I figured doing so would be polite, considering she let us off the hook for sleeping in the same room.

"So Michael," my thoughts were interrupted as she began to speak, "As you know, Rebecca has a very hard time dealing with things. I know that you are very aware of how she copes with it, and I want just as much as you for her to stop. The poor girl has been through so much."

I nodded my head in agreement, knowing that Gen was referencing Rebecca's self harming.

"That is why I wanted to thank you. She told me how you stopped her last week. I need you to keep doing that whenever possible. Michael, she needs you."

"I will, I promise. She hasn't done it since then. I know that I can help her."

The look Gen gave me broke my heart, as I realised the words I had just said were not true.

"Are you telling me that she still..." I was cut off by Genevieve.

"I've said too much already... But please keep doing whatever you're doing, because it's working."

I promised once again that I would do everything I could to help her, and we said our goodbyes as Gen left my room.

I sat on the edge of my bed in shock. I had just been told so much, most of it breaking my heart. However, one phrase kept echoing in my head.

'She needs you.'

Rebecca's POV

After getting dressed, I met Michael outside our rooms and we began to walk down to the classrooms. When the bell for first period to end rang, he pulled me in for a kiss, then we parted ways for our classes.

I was luckily the first one to English, so I sat in the same seat in the back row as the previous day.

I was pulled back into the real world as Ashton sat down next to me.

We began to talk about various subjects, before the bell rang signalling for class to start.

Our teacher finished early, and allowed us free time at the end of the lesson to talk.

Ashton and I turned to face each other, and jumped right back into our previous conversation.

It was so easy to talk to him. We had so much in common, and I felt like I had known him for years.

"So uh Rebecca, I don't really know anyone else here so would you maybe wanna like.. I don't know.. Hang out some time or something?" He looked nervous, as if he was expecting the worst.

"I'd love to Ashton! Want to sit with me during break?" I said with a smile.

His eyes lit up as he nodded. Just then the bell rang, and we got up and walked to the field together. I had already texted Michael telling them that I was going to talk to a new friend I'd met, and then he can just go sit with the others.

He replied back saying 'ok, but I'll miss you :((( x'

I decided to not respond, because I felt like it's be rude to Ashton.

We sat cross legged across from each other in the grass a d told stories from our old schools and about our families.

I learned that Ashton, like me, suffered from severe social anxiety, depression, and a whole host of other illnesses. It was comforting to know that someone else had been through the same thing, to know that I had someone to talk to.

The bell rang, reminding us that we still had two more classes. We walked to math together as sat side by side again. The same was done in history.

Today actually hasn't been all that bad, but I was still beyond relieved when the bell rang. I walked as quickly as I could to the door. Michael was waiting as usual, but his normal smile was not present. He instead looked almost angry.

"What's wrong Mikey?" I asked as he wrapped his arm around me.

"Nothing. I'm fine." He said, obviously lying.

"Michael, I know something is up. You can tell me."

By this time, we were already at his door. He looked anywhere but my eyes before mumbling "Who was the guy you were talking to?"

A/N I apologise for the long wait! School has been crazy and I haven't had any free time! I only have two days of school next week, and then I'm on holiday for Thanksgiving for nearly a week!

Anyways, I'm kinda getting stuck with writing this. I'd love it if y'all could comment telling me your favourite thing that has happened so far, so I k ow what kind of events people enjoy reading about! Thank you so much!

~rebecca :)) xx