Chapter 7

Weeks passed and I was worse than ever. I was either always sleeping or getting absolutely no sleep at all. I was missing so much school that there was hardly a point of going anymore. My arms and thighs were a bloody battle ground, and it was rare that I ate anything.

My parents decided that enough was enough. They confronted me one day, and what I was told was one of the biggest shocks of my life.

“Rebecca, honey, we need to talk to you.” My mom said with a worried look on her face, as she walked into my dark room.

“Please just go away. I don’t want to talk.” I mumbled from under my blankets.

“We’re just worried about you.” My dad piped up.

“Well there’s nothing to worry about, I’m just a last excuse for a human being. I just want to sleep forever.” I said, getting angry with them.

“Rebecca you need help.” My mom stated, “And that is why we’ve decided to send you to a rehabilitation center.”

I choked at those words. I didn’t want to be sent away, I just wanted to stay in my own bed and be sad on my own. I didn’t want help.

“I-I’m not going.” I whispered.

“Yes you are sweetie, and you really don’t have a choice. Hopefully while you’re there they can figure out what’s been causing you so much pain.”

Little did she know, I already knew what was causing me to act like this.

Him.

Michael Clifford.

It had been 3 weeks since I found out that he left for Australia, and I hadn’t been able to get him out of my mind even for a second since then. I don’t know why his absence from my life was causing me to act like this. We had hardly ever spoken in person. I wouldn’t even consider us friends. It’s not like we had any feelings towards each other. Well, at least I know he didn’t have any towards me.

“Rebecca, did you hear me?” My mom questioned, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Uh no, sorry…”

“I was just saying how Dr. Wendy gave me this list of centers that she thinks would be a good fit for you. Most are in the US, but there are a few international ones that are supposed to be excellent!” She said, with a bit too much enthusiasm.

I took the list from her and placed it on my night stand. I asked her and my dad to leave, and once they did I settled back under my covers and attempted to sleep.

Sleep didn’t come, and I knew it was because I was worried about leaving home. I gave in and decided to glance at the list. All of the centers had really lame names such as “A Fresh Start” and “Back on Track”. I rolled my eyes and continued scanning. One in England caught my eye, and I made a mental note to look back at it. I was almost at the bottom of the list when I saw it. I dropped the list and placed both of my hands over my mouth as my jaw dropped.

“Shady Grove” located in Sydney, Australia.

I knew this was my only chance. My only way to see Michael.

I called my mom into my room and explained to her how I found one I liked. She was thrilled, but her face dropped when I told her which one I had chosen.

“Are you sure, Rebecca? Australia is very far away, and you’d be there on your own without me or your father.”

“I’m 100% positive that this is the right center for me. I need to go.” I said with determination.

A few hours later my mom came back in my room with a slight smile on her face. She explained how she and my dad had talked, and in the end decided that going to Australia would be a good choice for me. I would have a fresh start, and be away from distractions.

I jumped out of bed and hugged her, something that I hadn’t done in a long time. My mom looked surprised, but hugged me back, and said that she’d enroll me the next day.

*The next day*

After many forms were filled out, and many phone calls between my parents and Shady Grove took place, I was officially a registered patient. Everything was set up, down to my plane ticket and my room reservation at the clinic. I even slipped a few small smiles during the process, knowing that I might finally be able to see Michael again.

I was set to leave on December 20th, which was 3 days from now. The next few days were spent packing up most of my belongings into my two allowed suitcases. I was very nervous to leave home, especially for this long, as I was only 16, but I was also very excited for the adventure that was about to take place.

- A/N Sorry about the slow updates, I've been really sick for the past few weeks, and school has been so hectic! As always, thanks for reading, and please comment and vote! I can't believe that this story has passed 350 reads and 20 votes! I honestly was hoping for like 10 people to read it haha. Anyways, thanks again! Rebeccax-