Chapter 36

Hey guys! Here is the last chapter of I Promise! Thank you so much for sticking with me and reading my story! I actually wrote the epilogue around chapter 15 or so, so I’ve known how the story was going to end for a while! I met 5SOS 4 times in the past week and I was able to talk to Michael a bit, so i’ll say more on that at the end! I was actually writing this chapter in the hotel lobby when they walked in and let me tell you, I slammed my laptop shut so fast ahaha so anyways, I hope you enjoy this last chapter, thank you so much for reading! 

Rebecca’s POV

The last few days with Michael went by incredibly quick. Far too quickly for my liking. Before I knew it, I was in his room helping him pack for college and his move back to Australia- again.

 Michael put me in charge of his clothes, saying that he wanted to bring everything. I was emptying the drawers of his dresser when I heard him let out a large sigh.

“Rebecca, I don’t want to go anymore. I want to stay here with you.”

“No Michael, of course you want to go! You deserve this, it could really help your music career. I don’t want to be the one that holds you back.”

“You could never hold me back babe.”

“Yes I could, now get packing! You have to leave in 5 hours!”

As hurt as I was that he was leaving, I knew it would happen eventually. We had spent every minute of the last few days together, not once leaving each other’s side. We took turns sleeping over at one another’s house, and literally did everything together.

The other hard part about this for me was going back to school. I hadn’t seen anyone from school since I’d left for rehab, so I knew there would be lots of speculation and lots of questions when I returned, and unfortunately, Michael wouldn’t be there with me to make it all better. I hoped that I had overcome everything, but in the back of my mind I was still quite worried that I’d get bad again.

After many hours of brutal packing, and many cuddle and kissing breaks, Michael’s room was once again packed up into numerous cardboard boxes. With the help of his parents and mine, we brought all of the boxes to Michael’s car and left for the airport. Michael and I in his jeep, and our  parents in Michael’s dad’s escalade.

I had told myself that I wouldn’t cry, but I was in tears before we even arrived at the airport. It was a silent drive, just the light hum of the radio filling the car. Michael’s hand kept its place on my thigh, and mine were constantly wiping the tears from my eyes.

As we pulled up to the terminal, we were both in tears. We still hadn’t spoken a word, nothing felt right, and nothing could have made the situation any better.

The parents had agreed to take in all his belongings, so that left the two of us time to say our goodbyes. Neither of us wanted to initiate the conversation, but it was inevitable.

“Michael…” My voice trailed off as we stared into each other’s eyes.

His arms were instantly around me, pulling me into his chest.

“Rebecca I’m gonna miss you so much. Like I honestly don’t want to go at this point. These last few months with you have been the best time of my life. Thank you for making me happy, thank you for helping me control my anger, than you for giving me a reason to carry on. I’ll be home at Christmas to visit you, okay? That’s not too far away, but I want you to promise me that you’ll take care of yourself and be strong for me, okay?”

I was silent.

“Rebecca, I need you to promise me. I made you a promise along time ago, and I’d like to think that I’ve done a pretty good job keeping it, so now it’s your turn. Can you make me that promise?”

I took a deep breathe before slowly nodding my head. “I promise Michael, I promise I’ll stay strong for you.”

We continued our embrace, sneaking a few rather long kisses here and there, before Michael had to pass through security. I watched him until I could no longer see him, and the tears continued to fall. I knew we’d been apart from each other before, but both times were unexpected. This time, we knew what was going on, and  the reality of it was really hitting us both.

I got in Michael’s car to drive it back to his house, and as I did so, I reminisced on all of our memories. I remembered how I was scared of him at first, how I thought it was all a joke. I remembered when he helped me get into class late without getting detention, when he so desperately tried to talk to me but I pushed him away. I remembered the shock of him leaving, then the even larger shock of being reunited. I remembered when he asked me to be his girlfriend. I remembered all the times he had made me eat, all the times he had cleaned my cuts, all the times he had given up his sleep to make sure I was okay, all the times he had tried to protect me from all harm. 

It was then that I truly realized how incredibly in love I was with Michael Clifford. I had known I was in love for a long time, but never to this extent. To the extent where I honestly wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I knew from that point on that I had to stay strong for him, I had to manage on my own until he came home. I couldn’t give up. I had made my promise, and I was determined to keep it.

THE END

-------------

IT’S OVER! I really hope you guys enjoyed this story, I know that it wasn’t the best, and that it was in fact pretty awful, but it was my first time writing something like this so I hope you liked it!

Anyways, so a few days ago I met 5SOS again and Michael remembered me and he kept hugging me and telling me to hang in there for him and stuff and I almost started crying which would have been quite awaked but yes, he’s an amazing person and I honestly owe him everything. I hope you guys all get the chance to meet 5SOS one day, because all of the boys are amazing people and genuinely care about each and every one of you.

The epilogue will be posted fairly soon, since it’s been written for months! Thank you so much of reading!<33