Chapter 12

Rebecca’s POV

I was woken up the next morning by a few rays of sunshine peeking through the lace curtains covering the window. It took me a minute to realize where I was, but a smile soon grew on my face as I realized I was at Michael’s house.

I decided to head downstairs, not bothering to change out of my pjs. I found Michael’s mom in the kitchen preparing breakfast, and sat at the counter as we chatted about various subjects.

A sleepy Michael sauntered down the stairs, and I’ll admit that I was at a loss for words as he stood in front of me with half-opened eyes and his messy, yet attractive bedhead.

“Good morning Mum, morning Rebecca” he mumbled, his deep morning voice still present.

“Hey Michael!” I exclaimed from my spot on the barstool.

He walked over and draped his arms over my shoulders, causing me to flinch. I still wasn’t used to his touch.

“What are our plans for today, Mum?” Michael asked, waking up at bit at the sight of the bacon she was cooking.

“Nothing major! I need to finish some last minute Christmas shopping, and I was thinking you kids could maybe go swimming?” She replied, full of energy.

Swimming. No. I couldn’t let Michael see me like that. I just couldn’t.

“Swimming sounds great! You up for that, Rebecca?”

“Umm… I don’t know.. I mean.. Uh…” I panicked.

“Oh come on! It’ll be fun!” He pleaded.

“I don’t know… I’m not much of a swimmer… You can swim though; I’ll just sit on the side or something!” I said, trying to play it cool, hoping he’d catch the point I was trying to get across.

He obviously didn’t, as he kept begging for me to join him. I continued to make excuses as we at

“Michael I don’t want to go swimming because I’m too insecure to wear a swimsuit in front of anyone, especially you, because I’m way too fat and I know that after seeing me in it you won’t ever even want to talk to me again because you’ll see how ugly and flawed I really am.” I burst into tears as he gently coaxed me forward so I could cry into his chest as he rubbed my back.

A long silence followed, which made me very nervous.

Michael’s POV

The words she said literally broke my heart. I couldn’t believe she felt like that. Sure, she wasn’t the skinniest girl I had ever seen, but she was nowhere near the fat. She was absolutely perfect. Nothing would ever change that.

I tilted her head up so that she was looking me right in the eyes, and began to speak as tears slipped from her eyes.

“Rebecca, do not ever say anything like that ever again. You are a beautiful girl who has gone through so much, and nothing will ever change the way I feel about you. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I actually have some pretty strong feeling for you, and I want you to know that I think everything about you is perfect. You are not fat, okay? I don’t want you ever thinking that about yourself ever again. I want you to know that you can trust me, and that I will never let anything happen to you. You are loved, you are beautiful, and you have people who care about you.”

I finished my speech and waited for her reaction. I saw a mix of emotions on her face, but I hoped my message had gotten through to her.

“I’ll go swimming with you, Michael.” Was all she said before getting up and walking out of my room and into hers.

I sat there on my bed, replaying what she had told me over and over again in my head. I just didn’t get it. How could someone as stunning as Rebecca ever think that about herself. It didn’t make sense.

Rebecca’s POV

I felt pretty pathetic for just leaving Michael like that without thanking him or anything. The truth was, I didn’t know what to say. He made me feel wanted for once in my life, and I didn’t know how to respond to that.

I dug around in my suitcase until I found the black one-piece bathing suit that I had packed. I slowly changed into it, cringing at my reflection. My thighs looked massive, and had hideous scars all over them. I nearly chickened out, but knew that I had to do this. Michael had been nothing but kind to me, and it was time I returned the favour.

I slowly descended down the stairs with a towel wrapped around me, making sure everything was completely covered. I slid open the glass door that led to Michael’s backyard, and walked out to the pool. Michael was already in it, and the sight of his toned bare chest caused my heart to race.

He called me over, but I refused to get in until he turned around.

As soon as his back was towards me, I quickly dropped the towel and stepped into the pool, making sure the water was up to my shoulders before Michael could see. He quickly swam over and held me in his arms.

“I don’t know what you were talking about, because that suit looks hot on you” He whispered in my ear, causing my face to turn a very bright shade of red.

After the amount I had consumed the previous night and at lunch today I decided to lay off the dinner, only nibbling a few bites here and there.

I hoped that Michael didn’t notice, but the way he looked at me with a concerned look on his face told me otherwise.

We finished the movie in silence, and then decided to call it a night. Michael once again tucked me in, and kissed my forehead. I giggled, and pulled him down for a hug before letting him go back to his room.

I was nearly asleep when I heard my door crack open, and felt the bed dip down as someone crawled under the covers next to me.

Michael pulled me closer to him, so that my back was against his chest, and wrapped his arms around me. I thought that he thought I was asleep until he leaned over and whispered in my ear.

“I saw them.” Was all that he said.

I began to panic, knowing what he meant instantly.

“Shhhhhh” Michael said, “We’ll talk about it later, for now let’s just sleep.”

I nodded in agreement, and drifted off to sleep in Michael’s arms. 

A/N Hey guys. This chapter was kinda hard for me to write... in an emotional sense. Anyways, thank you for 50 votes! Y'all are the BEST :) Pretty please comment telling me what you like or what I could improve on! Thanks! Rebecca xx