Chapter 6

A week passed, and I continued to ignore Michael’s calls and texts. I also did my best to avoid him at school, which turned out to be harder than I thought.

I was beginning to wonder if I should possibly reply to him, when it all of a sudden stopped. The messages, the calls, everything just stopped. He wasn’t at school either, and I began to worry.

I happened to pass his house on my way to the store one day, and I noticed a For Sale sign in his yard. I slammed on my breaks and came to a stop in the middle of the street in front of his house.

I was very shocked, and in response I flung my door open and ran up to Michael’s house and rang the bell multiple times. A man who resembled and older Michael opened the door. He looked very tired, and also slightly upset.

“May I help you?” He inquired.

“Um I was just uh wondering if um Michael was uh home…” My voice trailed off.

His dad took a deep breath. “You should probably come inside, sweetie.”

“Where’s Michael?” I asked again, this time with more confidence.

“Michael and his mum have gone back to Australia. His, uh, grandma is very ill, and we thought it’d be best if we moved back to help her. Michael left two days ago with his mum, and as soon as the house sells I’ll be leaving too.” His dad said with a sad expression.

I sat there and literally felt my jaw drop. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t even know why I was so upset, I mean Michael and I were hardly even friends, right?

“I understand that this is a shock to you, but it’s what’s best for Mic- for all of us…” His dad mumbled.

“Well thank you Mr. Clifford, I’m very sorry for disturbing you by the way.” I said, offering him half of a smile.

“It’s okay honey, I’m sure you were just worried.”

I nodded, before realizing that he doesn’t even know who I am. “Oh, and by the way, My name’s-“

“Rebecca.” His dad finished. I sat there with a shocked expression before he continued. Michael has told us so much about you. I was actually beginning to wonder when you’d stop by.”

I sat there trying to comprehend what Mr. Clifford had just told me. I couldn’t get his words ‘Michael has told us so much about you’ out of my head. Why could Michael tell his parents about me?

I looked at my phone before realizing that it was much later than I thought, and that I needed to get home. I thanked Michael’s dad for explaining the situation to me, and he just pulled me into a hug.

“Michael really missed you, I hope you know that. You made him happy for the first time in a long while. My wife and I want to thank you for that.”  Mr. Clifford said with a weak smile on his face.

I returned his hug, and hid my face so he wouldn’t see me blush. I then hurried down the front path and got back in my car. It was a pretty short drive home, and when I arrived at my house I ran up to my room and began to cry.

Why hadn’t Michael told me he was moving? I mean, I had been ignoring him, but I’m sure if it was something this important he’d make more of an effort to tell me. Unless he really just didn’t care about me at all.

My mom and my therapist began to see a huge decline from the tiny bit of happiness Michael had given me ever since I found out he moved. No one knew why I was spiraling downwards, but everyone could see that I was getting worse fast.

 -hey! Sorry for the short and boring chapter! I promise Michael will be back in the story pretty soon! Thank you so much for 300 reads! Please comment and vote xoxo-