Chapter 5

As the bell rang, I made my way down to the junior parking lot and got in my car. I typed in the address Michael had given me into my GPS, after agreeing to meet him at his house. I followed the directions, and before I knew it I was pulling up in front of a very large, beautiful house. I knew it had to be the right house, because I saw Michael’s jeep parked in the driveway.

I gathered all the courage I had and opened my car door. I made my way down the stone path through his neatly manicured lawn, but paused when I got to the door. I took a deep breath and gave a quick knock, hoping that Michael would hear. Seconds later the door swung open and I was greeted by a smiling Michael which his arms open.

Being the idiot that I am, I just stood there.

“Well, are you gonna hug me or not?” Michael chuckled.

I gave a nervous smile and walked up to him, letting his arms embrace me. I’m not gonna lie, it felt good. Unlike any other hug I’d had before.

He led me inside and offered me a snack. I quickly refused, as I hate eating in front of people. He gave me a questioning look, then grabbed a bag of chips for himself, and two bottles of water.

“So Rebecca… What do you wanna do?” He said with a smile.

“Um I’m not sure… We could just watch TV or whatever I honestly don’t care” I mumbled.

“Well, I’ve got a TV in my room, come on up and we can put a movie on or something.”

Michael led me up the stairs and down a hallway with many doors.

“Your house is massive!” I said, in awe.

“I often wish it was smaller… It gets very lonely. I’m normally the only one home, since my parents spend so much time at work. It’s too big for just the three of us.”

“I’m sure you have friends over all the time, though, I mean so popular people at school!” I exclaimed.

“Well, you’d think so…” He said, looking at the ground. “Um Rebecca, can I tell you something?”

By this time, we were in his bedroom. He was sitting on his bed, and I was sitting in his desk chair, the idea of watching a movie long forgotten.

I nodded, and he took a deep breath. “The truth is, well, none of those people are really my friends. They all pretend to like me, to say that they’re friends with the ‘Australian guy’ but in reality, they’re all jerks. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t talk to anyone, but I honestly don’t have the heart to be mean to them. I act like someone that I’m not at school, and nobody, except for you, knows that.”

He paused for a minute, and looked down at his lap, avoiding eye contact with me.

I thought his story was done, but then he all of a sudden began speaking again. “Back in Australia I really didn’t have many friends. I was the outcast. I spent lunch alone, and was very upset with the situation. That’s why I was so excited to move to America 3 years ago. I guess what I’m trying to say, is well, I understand what you’re going through, and I wanted to help you.”

By this time, I’d moved over to his bed to comfort him. A few tears slipped from my eyes as I awkwardly rubbed his back.

“Michal, thank you so much for telling me this. I appreciate your concern for me, but honestly I’m okay. I’m used to it. I don’t need any help.” I blurted out.

The look on his face was a mix between confusion and hurt. I regretted what I said, but I didn’t know how to fix it, so I used my usual tactic and I got up and left.

I heard Michael calling my name as I hurried to my car and drove off towards my house. I knew I shouldn’t have fled, but it was the only thing I knew how to do when situations got awkward.

Once I got home, I ran upstairs and locked my door. I collapsed on my bed and began to cry, something that I did very often. All he had wanted to do was help me, be my friend, but of course I had to say something hurtful in return, and then leave. I hated myself, I really did. I wiped my eyes and made my way to the bathroom connected to my room. I locked the door, opened the draw, and pulled out something shiny.  I began to break the skin on my arm. Blood was everywhere, but I didn’t care. This was nearly a nightly occurrence, so I was used to it. I deserved it.

I cleaned up and made my way back to my bedroom. Abandoning my homework, I  turned off my lights, closed my blinds and climbed in bed. I checked my phone to see numerous missed texts from Michael, all apologizing, even though I should have been the one doing so.

 I was about to fall asleep, when I grabbed my phone and typed up a single word to Michael.

“Sorry.”

-Hey guys. Sorry that I haven't updated in a while.. I've had a really rough week and have been really sick. I promise to  start updating more frequently, though! Thanks for over 200 reads! Please comment and vote! I love y'all, and thank you for reading! Rebeccax-