Chapter 31

Three months had passed, and I was finally allowed to go home. I worked real hard to convince everyone that I was better, but in reality, I was worse than ever before. I guess I did a pretty good job pretending, because they had arranged my flight home with my parents.

After many grueling months at this place, I was finally able to leave. Saying goodbye to everyone was very hard. Luke, Kirstin, Calum and I all gathered in the boys’ room, and everyones eyes were filled with tears. They promised me that I would actually be able to recover once I left and was reunited with Michael, and I sure hoped that their words were true. However, I knew it wasn’t that simple.

The last thing I did before leaving was to say goodbye to Ashton. It had been a bumpy few weeks with him. I spent a lot of time with him whilst he was stuck in bed with his injuries, but after he was better, things got different. He kept trying things on me, things I really wasn’t comfortable with. I had decided that it was best to stay way from him for a while, since I knew if Michael heard anything he’d flip.

I knocked on Ashton’s door, the door to the room he had previously shared with Michael. It swung open, and I was faced with a distressed looking Ashton.

“Is it true? Are you really leaving?” He asked, grabbing my hand.

“Um, yeah, I am. I’m all better Ashton, I recovered.” I said.

“That’s not true!” He exclaimed. “Rebecca, I know you better than you think. We’re going through the same thing, theres no way that you’re better. You can’t just recover like that. Especially without the one you love.” He said, trying to meet my eyes that were fixed on the ground.

“But Ashton, I am better. That’s what I’m leaving for the airport in 10 minutes.” 

“You’re lying. I know you are."

“Ashton, please this is the last time I’ll see you for who knows how long! Can we please just get along?”

“Alright. But I know that you’re still bad, worse than ever I’m sure.”

“Ashton! Please drop it!”

He suddenly pulled me into a long hug and mumbled how sorry he was whilst rubbing my back.

I started crying all over again, and I felt his tears on my shoulder as well.

“I’m gonna miss you.” He mumbled.

“I’m gonna miss you too, Ash. You’re a great friend.”

“Please don’t say that,” he winced.

“What do you mean? Why?”

“Rebecca don’t play dumb, you know I have feelings for you. I consider you so much more than a friend, and I just wish you felt the same about me.”

I stood there uncomfortably shifting my weight from one foot to the other, not sure how to respond.

My thoughts were interrupted as Ashton grabbed my face in his hand and forcefully kissed me.

I quickly pulled away and scolded him. “Ashton! What the heck? I have a boyfriend!”

“I don’t care. I am in love with you, and I have been since we first met.”

“But Ash, I have Michael….”

“Screw Michael! I’m so much better for you. Who was the one who took care of you all those times when you cut yourself? I was! I was there because Michael was so busy being overprotective that he punched someone and ended up in the solitary wing!”

I simply shook my head and turned to leave the room. Before I got to the door I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Rebecca, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean any of it.”

“Yes you did Ashton. Otherwise you wouldn’t have said it. I need to catch my flight now, so I guess I’ll see you later or something. Bye.”

Leaving was hard. Ashton had been a really good friend. He was always there for me, as he said, but I had Michael and I didn’t think about Ashton that way at all.

I walked down to the entry way where my packed bags were waiting by Genevieve’s feet.

“Rebecca! Are you ready?” She exclaimed.

“Ready as I’ll ever be!” I said with a fake smile before grabbing my suitcases and following her out to the car.

Once we got to the airport, I got out of the car and was engulfed in a large hug by a crying Genevieve.

“I’m going to miss you so much Rebecca! I’m so glad that I was able to help you on your journey to recovery!” She cried.

“I’ll miss you too. Thank you Gen,” I said, before once again grabbing my bags and walking into the airport.

Once I was settled on the plane, I texted my mom alerting her that I’d be leaving shortly. I hadn’t been allowed to contact my parents the whole time I was there, so finally being able to speak to them was a bit weird, but very comforting. 

After we took off I watched a few movies before falling asleep with a smile on my face, knowing that in just a few more hours I’d be able to see Michael again. 

A/N I massively appologize for the long wait. I turned 17 last week, but then a few days later one of my cats passed away so I was very shook up by that. I also had a lot going on and haven't been in the best mindset lately, but I had extra time during study hall today so I wrote this!

Thank you so much for bearing with me, and again sorry for the wait!