Chapter 29

Rebecca’s POV

 -

-

-

Two hours had passed, and Michael still hadn’t returned. I know he said he needed to clear his head, but he’d been gone an excessive amount of time, and I was beginning to worry.

I decided to go check and see if he was in his room, maybe he’d gotten tired and decided to take a nap or something. 

I made my way down the hall to the room that he now shared with Ashton and knocked. There was no response, so I knocked again, and again.

Frustrated, I turned to head back to my room when a voice stopped me. 

“Are you looking for Ashton?” Asked a boy that I recognized from my math class. He had a pained look on his face, and looked as if he’d seen a ghost.

“Um, Michael actually. Do you happen to know where he is?” I responded. 

He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck before shrugging and going back into the room that was next to Michael and Ashton’s.

I knew that he knew. His expression looked guilty, and the fact that he didn’t answer me was a big hint. Something was wrong, but I had no idea what. 

I decided to go check Calum and Luke’s room next. I walked to the familiar room and knocked once before it flew open. Luke stood there looking flustered and Calum, who was sitting on the bed, had tears streaming down his cheeks.

“Guys, what’s going on? Someone please tell me,” I panicked.

“Michael… He’s.. He’s gone.” Luke choked out.

The words barely hit me before I felt myself get light headed and everything got dark.

—————

My eyes slowly opened, then instantly closed due to the bring light. I had a pounding headache, and assumed that I had just taken a nap to try to sleep it off. I heard someone calling my name, and my eyes flickered open once more.

“Oh thank God, you’re awake!” Calum exclaimed from beside the bed that I was in.

“Um, Calum? Where am I?”

“You’re in the infirmary. You kinda passed out and hit your head when we told you that Michael… You know…”

Everything suddenly came back to me as I burst into tears. I was having troubles breathing. I felt myself getting dizzy once again.

“Woah there, calm down Rebecca. I’m sure you’ll see him again soon.”

“Wait.. You mean he’s not.. Dead?” I asked.

“REBCCA OF COURSE HE’S NOT DEAD WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT?” Calum yelled.

“Well, Luke said that’s he’s gone, and I just assumed the worst and thought that he had died or something…”

“No, he’s not dead. He’s just no longer a patient here.”

“Wait, he isn’t?” I asked, still crying.

“No he.. Well he kinda got in a fight and got kicked out. They didn’t even let him say goodbye to any of us.” 

I instantly put two and two together before quickly sitting up, feeling the blood rush to my head.

“He got in a fight with Ashton,” I said, more of a statement than a question.

Calum looked everywhere but at me as he slowly nodded his head.

“Oh my God this is all my fault!” I exclaimed, throwing my arms in the air. “I just can’t ever do anything right!”

“This is not your fault. It’s Ashton’s for continuing to pursue his infatuation, and Michael’s for being overly protective and letting his anger get the best of him. He was just trying to keep you safe. He always told me that doing so was his number on priority. He never meant for anyone to get hurt, he just wanted to protect you.”

I let myself process Calum’s words before standing up and walking to the door.

“I need to be alone for a while. I need to think about what’s going on and figure out how to get out of this place to get back to Michael.” I said before leaving the room.

Calum quickly caught up to me and grabbed me by the arm to make me stop. 

“The only way out of this place is to get better, you know?  And please, just please don’t do anything Michael wouldn’t want you to do, okay? I know why you want to be alone,” He said whilst looking me in the eyes.

“I can’t make any promises,” I stated before turning back around and walking to my room.

I thought about what Calum had said, how the only way out was to get better. I sat on the floor leaning against the wall for a very long time, validating those words. For once, I decided to get my frustrations and feelings out another way. The last thing he said to me, ‘don’t do anything Michael wouldn’t want you to do’ replayed over and over in my head. I knew that I had to be the stronger person, I had to get out of here, and if getting out of here meant getting better, I would do that. 

I crawled into bed and instantly fell asleep. The events from the day tired me out immensely, and I knew that finally caving in and trying to heal would take a lot of work, but all that work would be worth it again if it meant getting to see Michael. 

---

A/N: School is being obnoxiously busy at the moment, but I'm trying very hard to still update! I appologize that this chapter is absolutely horrible, but I wanted to go ahead and post something for y'all since it's been a while! 

Leave a comment telling me what your favourite part of the story has been so far! :))

As always, thank you for reading and voting! I love you all! x