Chapter 32

Rebecca's POV

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will be arriving in about 10 minutes. Please return your seats to the upright position and fasten your seat belts. Thank you for flying with United Airlines!”

The captain’s voice booming over the speakers woke me up from my deep sleep, and I instantly smiled and gathered up my things, placing them back into my bag. Today was the day that I would get to see Michael again, and I was beyond excited. Three months without him had been awful, I honestly didn’t think I’d make it. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of being reunited with Michael again.

20 minutes later and I walking though the terminal to retrieve my bags. I had my back to the door, staring at the array of suitcases passing by looking for my own, when I felt a pair of arms wrap around me from behind.

“Michael!” I yelled, turning around only to be met with my older brother, Sam.

“Well, it’s nice to see you too, sis!” He said sarcastically.

“Oh sorry, I thought you were my boyfr- I thought you were Michael…”

“It’s fine,” he laughed. “Mom said he moved back into his old house, and she wants you to go surprise him later. He doesn’t know that you’re coming home.” 

I instantly began planning how I would surprise him, not even noticing that my bags had passed. Luckily Sam caught up to them and pulled them off the belt. He returned to where I was standing before nudging me in the direction of the door.

“So Mom and Dad sent me to collect you because they had some things to finish up…” He said as he threw my suitcases in the back of his pickup truck.

“Oh, okay…” I sighed, realising that my parents didn’t even have enough time to come pick me up. 

“Hey, don’t be so down, alright? It was nice actually seeing you happy for once.”

I sighed before climbing into his massive truck.

The ride home was pretty quiet, Sam asked me a few questions about Sydney and my time there, and I replied with one word answers for the most part.

Before I knew it, we had pulled into the familiar driveway that I hadn’t seen in months. I helped Sam grab my things from the back before we made our way up the front path to the door. He pulled out his key and unlocked the door, pushing the door opening and allowing for me to enter first.

The house hadn’t changed much at all. In fact, I couldn’t point out too many differences at all apart from the new TV on the wall and a couple of new photo frames with pictures of me placed around the living room.

I turned the corner to walk into the kitchen where I was greeted by my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all crowded into the space. They all shouted “Surprise!” as I stood there in shock. I had honestly thought that my parents didn’t care enough about me to be home when I returned, but evidentially I was wrong.

I received their numerous hugs with a gracious smile, mumbling a few thank you’s here and there in reply to their congratulations about me “recorvering.”

After a few hours of catching up with everyone, I went up to my room for some alone time, and to prepare for my surprise visit to Michael’s.

I changed out of my airplane attire, consisting of sweatpants and an oversized hoodie, into a black skater skirt and a fitted white lace top. Over the last few months I had finally managed to lose quite a bit of weight, and I wanted Michael to see that. I also had allowed for the scars on my arms to begin to heal, and they were much less noticeable now so I took the risk of wearing a shirtsleeve shirt. I hadn’t stopped the cutting all together, but I was much more careful about where I did it, so that everyone thought I had stopped.

I slipped on my black vans as my mom walked into my room, closing the door behind her and sitting on the edge of my bed.

“You look beautiful, Rebecca.” She smiled as I ran my fingers though my long, curly brown hair.

“Thanks Mommy,” I grinned back. I wasn’t completely satisfied with how I looked yet, but I didn’t hate my appearance as much as I did before.

“I’m just so proud of you honey, I know how hard it was so leave home, and how tiring and stressful the road to recovery must have been. I’m just so glad that you were finally able to get the help you needed.”

“I let my mom pull me into a hug, something that I had missed whilst away in Sydney.”

“Um, Mommy?” I asked, still calling her by the name I had used since I was a little kid.

“What’s up?” She asked.

“I was wondering if I could maybe go see Michael now? Sam told me that he was living in his old house again? I don’t know I just really miss him…”

My mom’s eyes lit up at my words. “I thought you’d never ask! I was so happy to hear that you had finally found a boy!”

“Wait, how do you know?" 

“Well, Michael’s mom and I are in the same book club and las month at our meeting she was talking about how she had just moved back from Sydney and I told her how my daughter was in rehab there and she asked if your name was Rebecca, and I said yes, but I was very confused until she explained how her son was named Michael and how you two had been spending a lot of time together and how he wouldn’t stop talking about you and how they had to move back for personal reasons and-“ I cut her off, trying to take in what she had just said.

“Would it be alright if I just went now? I haven’t seen him in ages and I just really miss him. Like a lot.”

“Of course, sweetie! Just don’t stay out too late!” 

“I won’t, don’t worry!” I said, although I fully intended to spend the night.

I grabbed my car keys before entering the garage to be met with my beautiful car that I had missed so much. I was a bit nervous that after not driving for months I’d have some trouble, but surprisingly it felt extremely natural. 

I backed out of the driveway and followed the familiar route to Michael’s house. I pulled onto his street and was shocked at what I saw. 

His house was obviously the site of the biggest party in town, even though he had told me how much he hated parties. 

Red cups littered the front yard, amongst the numerous people smoking and couples making out.

I had to park quite aways down the street, and after doing so I quickly walked up to Michael’s front door, not quite sure what to expect. 

I didn’t bother knocking, and instead just pushed open the door, the smell of smoke and alcohol consuming me, causing me to feel a bit sick. I had obviously never been to a party, so this was all so new to me, and quite frankly I was scared.

I wove in and out of all the sweaty bodies searching for Michael, but he was no where to be seen. I sat down on a couch in the living room hoping that he’d turn up soon, but as the time passed, I had yet to catch a glimpse of the boy I so terribly missed.

My thoughts were interrupted as I caught a glimpse of bright pink hair walking down the stairs. I suddenly realized that the person was Michael, and that he was a beautiful giggling girl following right behind him, a smirk present on his face. 

At that moment, my world collapsed. As cliché as it sounds, it was the truth.

I did what I did best when I didn’t know what to do. 

I ran. 

A/N: Sorry about the cliff hanger! It had to happen though! Also, sorry for the massive wait again. Things haven't been going well at all, but I recently got in contact with someone who massivly helped me before, and I've been able to talk to him a bit and things have been getting much better :))

Please comment and vote! It really motivates me to write, and let's me know if people like this story or not! Thank you so much for reading! x