Chapter 1 - A Mistake

My life was pretty shitty. Not like third world shitty but shitty compared to the movies I've seen. I had two older brothers and a dad who hated me. I am 16, and according to my oldest brother Merle and dad I'm a mistake. You see in the Dixion family for generations their had been three boys, but when my mom gave birth to me and passed my life was hell. Dad always hit me and yelled at me for nothing. And when I didn't listen to him I was beaten, badly too. The only person who cared about me was my second older brother Daryl. He wasn't a softy but he cared about me more than anyone. He would alway check on me seeing my bruises and marks but I would alway beg him it was no big deal. Merle was a total asshole always drinking, smoking, and getting into trouble. My dad resented me, I was a mistake. Apparently I broke the tradition and was worthless. Merle only talked to Daryl and my dad just sat on the couch drinking all day long. I sat in my room awaiting the moment when my dad would yell for me to get him another beer and I would run as fast as I could so I wouldn't get yelled at. Merle and Daryl didn't live at home anymore so it was just me and dad. Until the apocalypse that is. Thankfully Daryl used to sneak into my window every once in a while teaching me things about how to survive on my own. Showed me how to use a crossbow, handle knives, track, all that stuff. The only reason is because I would tell him about wanting to escape from my dad and live in the woods. But thankfully one night as Daryl snuck up to my room with a large box. It was heavy and he gave it to me just minutes before all hell broke loose. It was my 16th birthday but dad never cared and neither did Merle. Daryl did though, and once I opened the box it was perfect. A pink crossbow with a scope and loaded arrows.

"Omg, I love it thank you!" I swung my arms around him as he told me the reason for it and I was terrified

"Let's go, we have to get Merle."
"What about dad?" I asked as he was about to jump out the window with his crossbow around his shoulder and a backpack also handing me a small bag too.
"What about him? He wouldn't make it, plus do you give a rats ass what happens to him anyway?" I thought for a moment
"Your right, fuck him now let's go." I said jumping out the window as we headed to Merle's apartment.
I woke up suddenly sweating with my crossbow right next to me in the tent.
'Just another fucking dream.....again.' I said under my breath and looked up not seeing Daryl or Merle then I remember Daryl told me he was gonna hunt early and Merle went on a run today. I sat their for a minute remembering the night of the apocalypse staring at my crossbow smiling knowing someone cares about me. I flinched grabbing my knife as someone came into the tent as I see who it was.
"I surrender!" It was Carl. He was the same age as me, 16 and the only other "kid" in camp. I relaxed putting my knife down with a slight smile.
"It's about time your up." He said playfully punching my arm sitting on my sleeping bag.
"Yeah, sorry." I said looking down remembering my dream, feeling the sweat drip from me.
"You ok?" He saw the sweat and I wiped it off biting my lip nodding. He knew I was lying.
"Ok, now that we have gotten past the bullshit lying tell me whats wrong." I laughed quietly to myself. Carl always knew when I was lying cause I bit my lip and I just sighed looking down at my crossbow.
"Bad dream again?" He questioned and I nodded slowly. He knew me so well even though I kept my emotion inside he could see through me. The weird thing was I never told him what happens in my dreams, it was like he could read my mind still never bothering me about what happened in them.
"Ok, well I'm going to go with Shane to get some frogs. Want to come?"
Authors Note: Carl is 16 but his dad still isn't back yet and Sofia is not existing in this sorry...... Also he will not age as fast as he does in the show since I'm staring him off as 16 and not like 10.
"Na, Daryl should be back soon and I'm gonna help him clean whatever he comes back with." He nods leaving the tent. I finally decide after about five minutes to get my lazy ass up and go out to get wood making some more arrows since I was low on them.