Chapter 25 - Lori

Jessica's P.O.V
I rode with Daryl on his motorcycle and Merle was in the truck with T. I felt bad for T-dog but he said it was cool. We pulled up to the prison and we all get out. I throw my crossbow over my shoulder and hop off the bike. I see Maggie and Beth standing in the distance and she's holding something. I see Carl run over to them and he just stops. I could see what she was holding and I ran to Carl. Rick was screaming and crying on the ground and Carl just stood their. I run to him dropping my crossbow and hugging him. He didn't hug back, he just stood their. After a minute he rested his head on my shoulder putting his entire weight on me practically falling on me crying. I tried comforting him but he just cried. I started to cry a little bit. Lori was his mom and she sort of cared about me but it wasn't a strong friendship. Rick stood up and ran inside the prison and Maggie was crying in Glenn's shoulder holding the baby.
"Where's Hershel?" Glenn asked Maggie.
"A walker got him. We had to cut his leg off but he's fine." She said in between her crying. I felt so bad for Carl, he went over to Maggie looking at the baby. I was about to go after him because he looked pissed but Kirsten held me back.
"Let him cope." She said grabbing my arm as he starred at the baby and ran inside. I walked over to Maggie grabbing the baby from her holding it.
"It's a girl." Beth said.
"She needs food, and fast." I said trying to focus on the new problem.
"What do we have here a baby could eat?" Daryl said
"She needs formula, we'll have to go on a run. And fast or she'll die." I said and he put on his backpack.
"Oh no that's not happing!" He said getting in the bike.
"The roads are blocked but the bike can make it. Someone needs to go with you." Maggie said grabbing a backpack.
"No." Glenn said grabbing her arm
"I have too, for Lori." She said and he kissed her one more time. They got on the bike but Daryl came over to me before he left.
"Watch out for that baby and Carl. If Merle causes trouble don't hesitate to threaten him." He said and I nodded still holding the baby. She started crying and Daryl drove off. Glenn shut the gate behind them and we all went inside.
"Dam been here 5 minutes and this groups full of issues." Merle said
"Shut up." I said walking inside seeing Carl sitting with Hershel. He was looking at his eye and gave him some pain meds to stop the swelling.
"What's her name?" I asked Beth still holding her.
"I don't know, I figured Carl could name her." She replied
"Yeah." I said as she started to cry slightly as I rocked her in my arms.
"Kirsten take the baby." I said handing her the baby.
"Hell no!" She said pushing me away.
"Come on I have to talk to Carl and Beth is with Hershel."
"I've never held a baby." She replied
"It's easy." I said handing her handing baby to her and she tensed up holding her.
"It's not an alien." I said running up to his cell. I stop by his door slowly walking in sitting on the bed with him.
"Hey." I said and he didn't reply
"Daryl and Maggie went to get formula for the baby." I said with agin nothing from him.
"I love you." I said and he looked at me in the eyes sitting up form his bed. I starred into his ocean blue eyes just wondering off until I regained focus from the crying.
"Hey, it's a girl by the way. I think you should name her." I said
"Shut that fucking shit up!" I heard Merle yell and I jumped out of the bed running down the steps.
"Merle!" I yelled taking baby from Kirsten.
"Make it shut up it's burning my ears!" He yelled again
"Merle shut up!" I yelled again. The baby wouldn't stop crying and all I could do was rock it in my arms. Every starred at me as I held the baby. We used a shirt as the baby's clothes for now and she was crying. I tried to get her to calm down but I knew she needed food. After about an hour and a half later they finally came back and Beth handed me a bottle. I put it in her mouth and she immediately stopped crying. I watched her eat as did everyone else as we all smiled by the silence and that she was ok.
"She's healthy." Hershel said sitting on a chair by the table we were all crowded around. Rick has been down in the I don't know how to describe it prison walk way thing I'm guessing killing walkers. Carl just stayed in his cell. After I fed the baby Maggie gave me some baby clothes and I got her dressed. "I'll go up and see Carl." I said walking up the steps to the cell with the baby. He was laying on his bed holding a picture as he looked up seeing me with the baby.
"Hi."
"Hey." He replied
"Wanna see her?" I asked and he just sat up so I sat on the bed with her.
"Have you come up with a name yet?"
"Well, I was thinking and I used to have this second grade teacher. Her first name was Judith, I kinda like that name." He said starring at the baby.
"Judith, it's perfect." I said smiling at the baby.
"Wanna hold her?" I asked and he nodded. I put Judith in Carl's arms. He starred at her and I started at him.
"She looks like you." I said smiling and he smiled slightly.
"Is my dad back yet?" He asked
"No." And after I replied Judith started to cry and Carl looked terrified
"Let me see her." I said grabbing her from Carl.
"Have you never held a baby before?" I asked and he shook his head
"You have?" He asked
"Yeah, I used to volunteer at a pre-school after school so I wouldn't have to go home." I said rocking Judith as she calmed down.
"You wanna come down with me?" I asked standing up with Judith.
"I'm good." He said laying back down and I sighed walking out of his cell.