Chapter 11 - She's hanging by a thread

They pulled up to the house and me and Carl went outside to see everyone. Carl ran out hugging his mom and I could tell he was crying quietly in her shoulder. T and Glenn stared to set up the tents so we could sleep outside since their was no room in the house for all of us. Everyone was unpacking everything as Rick apparently told them what happened because no one talked to me and I was glad. I had my tent to myself and I had Jessica's crossbow next to my sleeping bag. It was late and I was going back in one more time to see Jessica before I went to bed. I didn't want to sleep but I knew I had to. I walk inside and I see Hershel come out of her room.
"She needs more blood. The pint you gave us lasting her but she needs more, I suggest you give some and drink this then go to bed." He said handing me a glass of orange juice and I nodded as Beth took me in to draw my blood again. I was staring to feel light headed so I drank the oj.
"Daryl, before you go in their." Hershel stopped me as I was about to turn the door knob.
"Yeah?"
"If they don't come back soon we are going to have to do it without the supplies and she might not survive. She's awake but don't tell her what's going on or she might hyperventilate causing her to go into shock." I nod and walk into her room seeing her lay their in the sheets. Her shirt was now a crop top kinda thing because they had to get to the bullet and didn't want to take her shirt all the way off, and I was glad. I shut the door causing her eyes to open as she turned her head slightly towards me. 
"Hey Daryl." She said weakly
"Hey Jess." I said trying not to be too upset and down.
"You look terrible." I said to her and she chuckled slightly
"Thanks, you don't look to good yourself. What's all over your shirt?" She asked pointing to my shirt and I realized her blood was still all over it.
"Blood." I said and she look curious
"Who's?"
"Yours...." Her face immediately  went down and she look at her side seeing the bandage over it. As she touched it she winced in pain.
"Don't touch it if it hurt genius." I said sarcastically
"Sorry, hey where is everyone and where are we? Why is my shirt cut in half?" I think she was finally really waking up.
"We were out hunting and someone shot you by accident. Some prick, he went with Shane to get some supplies for you because you need surgery."
"Am I gonna be ok?" I froze knowing if I told her she could die and might flip so I lied
"Yes, a man named Hershel has been working on you. Once they come back he will do the surgery and you will be fine."
"Why surgery?"
"The bullet didn't go through you, it separated inside." She look shocked
"Dam." She said and I grinned
"Even in pain and you still make me laugh." I said to her and she smiled weakly.
"I try. Ok wait, so that explains everything else, but why is my most of my shirt gone?"
"They had to get to it and didn't want to take your entire shirt off so they cut it." I said and she nodded
"Daryl?"
"Yes?"
"Could you do me a favor?"
"No." She raised her eyebrows
"Just kidding, what do you need kiddo?"
"You know I love you but can I talk to Carl before I go to bed?"
"Sure, but I'm going to bed. But don't worry if they come back I'll be right here when you wake up from your surgery." I said kissing her head leaving the room slightly open going outside to get Carl.
"She wants you." I said waking to him and he jumped up and basically ran to her.
"He really loves her." Rick said as I sat by the fire with everyone.
"I know." I said back starring into the fire.

Carl's P.O.V
When Daryl told me she wanted to see me I wanted to run to her. I basically did and bursted through the door and saw her jump a little by me barging in.
"Dam it Carl you scared the shit out of me." She said and I laughed
"Sorry I just wanted to see you." I said sitting next to her on the bed.
"What happens to your shirt?" I said as it was appeared to be cut in half.
"They had to get to my wound so they cut my shirt so they didn't have to take all of it off." She explained and I frowned a little
"What?" She asked
"It would have been better that way." I said smirking and she playfully pushed me.
"Carl Grimes stop it I'm in too much pain to mess with you right now." She said and I just smiled
"That's not until later." I said smirking again as she caught on to what she just said
"Omg Carl stop!" She said laughing as did I.
"I needed this."she said grabbing my hand smiling.
"What?"
"You here." I smiled and I picked up her hand kissing it.
"You need sleep, they should be back soon and you should be rested."
"Ya ya I know I know." She said as I stand up about to leave.
"Uh em." She fake coughed and I went back over to her leaning over her kissing her lightly on the lips.
"Even with a busted lip their still soft." I said pulling away and she smiled.
"I love you Grimes."
"I love you Dixion." And I walked out shutting the door behind me with a huge smile on my face. I walk back to the fire sitting with my dad, Daryl, And Carol. Everyone else apparently went to sleep.
"Mom wants you in soon." Dad said to me but it didn't bother me because I was too happy thinking about the kiss.
"Ok." I said sitting on a log starring into the fire. About 20 minutes later I get up to go to bed
"Goodnight Carl." My dad said to me
"Night dad." And I walked into our tent. Mom was sleeping and I got into my sleeping bag. As I was laying their I realized it was getting colder outside and I tucked under my bag trying to get warm.

Hershel's P.O.V
I knew if they didn't come back soon Jessica would not make it. I went in with Beth to get her blood bag ready for the surgery and she was sleeping.
"Don't wake her." I said to Beth quietly and she nodded. I got the table set up with supplies so we would be ready when they came back.
"Do you think she's gonna be ok Daddy?" Beth asked me
"Honestly honey I don't know. We can't get too attached to these people, their not staying forever." I said and she nodded walking out with me.
-35 minutes later-
Me and Maggie were sitting at the table talking about this group. Until I saw headlights shine through the house, they were back.
I ran outside not seeing Ottis
"Ottis?" I asked Shane as he got out looking at beat up.
"No one saids anything to Patricia! I need her!" I tell everyone and I see Daryl jump up to help bring in the supplies.
"Beth wake up Jessica and get she ready for the surgery. Daryl if your gonna see her before the surgery you got like 30 seconds." I told him and he ran inside with Beth.
"Patricia let's go we need to do this now!" I yell and she gets her stuff ready.
"Beth give her the drugs." She nods and helps Jessica prepare for the needle and in about a minute she's out cold.
"It's working." I say and I take her bandage off seeing the wound.
"Daryl your gonna have to leave now." He nods full of sorrow and leaves.
"Here we go."