Chapater 20 - The Prison

Jessica's P.O.V
"Glenn, Maggie, Beth, Kirsten, and T will lead them away by the fences. Get em from the outside, in leading them away so I make the run to the tower over there." Rick said pointing to a tower closest to the prison.
"Daryl and Carol over there. Jessica, Carl, Hershel over there." He said pointing to the towers around us.
"Lori, you'll open the door for me and wait here." She nodded to his plan as did the rest of us. As Glenn, Maggie, T, Kirsten, and Beth draws the walkers says from us we went up to the top of the towers. Carl, Hershel, and I started shooting down walkers. Daryl and Carol were in the other tower as Rick ran for it. I tried to get any walkers around him and I was successful. He made it to the gate locking it running inside the tower before 4 walkers could get at him.
"LIGHT IT UP!" Daryl yelled and we all started blowing up walker brains everywhere, everyone was shooting, even from inside the gates Lori was shooting. I took down a few with my crossbow but not too many and more with my pistol. Rick made it to the top of the tower and started shooting as well until there wasn't anymore. We all came down from the towers and joined back together.
"That was fantastic!" Carol said walking back with Daryl.
"Good shooting." Daryl said. We all celebrated walking into the giant field of now dead walkers. We obviously didn't have time to clear the inside so we stayed outside making a fire. Rick, Glenn, T-dog, and Daryl found gas and our cars filling them up bringing em back to the prison. We all sat by the fire and Daryl was standing keeping watch for I really don't know on top of this flipped bus right by the entrance of the walk way thing. Rick walked around the entire prison by the fence. Earlier today me and Kirsten went out hunting getting two rabbits and we all ate cooking it over a messed up fan.
"Nice job girls." Lori said as we all ate and talked
"Any time." I said back sitting next to Carl. Carol got up with a bowl walking over to Daryl.
"Thanks Carol!" I called to her as she walked over to him.
"That's his third time around." Hershel said watching Rick just walk around.
"If we can dig a canal back there we'll have plenty of fresh water. Move the bodies tomorrow keep em away from it." T said
"If the soils good enough we can grow food too." Hershel said
After we all ate a was so tired, I notice Daryl rubbing Carol's shoulder and I smiled.
"Oh Daryl." I said quietly as Carl pulled me closer to him and I laid my head on his shoulder.
"You tiered?" He asked as I yawned.
"No I could run a marathon." I said sarcastically.
"Good night." He whispered in my ear putting his arm around my waist.
"Good night." I said and fell asleep.

Carl's P.O.V
Jessica fell asleep on my shoulder just as my dad came over sitting next to mom.
"How are you?"he whispered seeing Jessica and now Beth were sleeping.
"Fine, but they look exhausted." Mom said motions to me and Jess.
"She hasn't slept well these past few days." I say to the group and didn't notice Daryl and Carol coming back.
"Why?" My mom asked
"Ever since I first met her she has these dreams and it freaks her out. The other night she was shaking and sweating and woke up." I admitted to everyone.
"What?" Daryl said behind me and I jumped a little bit.
"She never told me that." He said in confusion.
"She's always had em, thought you already knew?" I said back
"Never. I always though she was ok, she never really told me." Daryl said
"I'm sorry." I replied
"For what?" He asked sitting down
"I would have told you sooner but I though you knew." I said and he shook his head
"Carl, your the only person she connects with more than me so if it's you she tells I'm sort of ok." He admits and I smile lightly
"Thanks Daryl."
"But if you hurt her you know I'm gonna kick your ass right?" He said sarcastically
"Yeah I know." I said chuckling and a few minutes later fell asleep with Jess in my shoulder.

Daryl's P.O.V
Carl and Jessica fell asleep next to each other. After he told me that she was having nightmares I was worried. She never told me that before and I always thought she was ok now. I know she used to have them before when she was still with Dad but I thought she was over it. Everyone else fell asleep and I was drifting off as well. Tomorrow we were going to take the inside of this prison.

-Morning- (still Daryl's P.O.V)
Rick was awake when as I woke up.
"Morning." He said and I stood up stretching
"Hey, when you wanna do this?" I asked
"Whenever we're ready." He replied and we waited for everyone to wake up. After everyone was up Rick started explaining the plan. We all grabbed our amo loading up our guns. Jess and I loaded our crossbows as well.
"You ready?" I asked Jess as we walked up to the gates.
"As I'll ever be." She said clicking her gun back with her crossbow on her shoulder. We opened the gates running in clearing the outside of the prison gate and we managed to lock a gate holding at least 20 walkers.
"Not now, the gate will last we can clear em from the outside." I said and Rick nods. We all enter the prison checking all of the cells. We found the cafeteria and found the medical supply room as well. They had a decent amount of medical stuff. They had a lot of food so that was good.
"Welcome to Cell Block C everyone!" Glenn said cheering
"There's enough cells for everyone to have their own of, they each have two bucks as well. Choose which one you want." Rick said and everyone picked a cell.
"Daryl, come on." Jess said
"Hell no I'm sleeping here I'm not gonna be some caged animal." I said pointing to the what looked like guard office.
"Whatever." She said taking a cell. Carl of course picked the one right next to her and everyone unloaded their things into the cells. We moved the vehicles inside the gate.
(Btw guys I'm not including the prisoners in this book, too much work. ;))
We all gathered in the center of the prison discussing what we're going to do tomorrow.
"Well moving dead bodies sounds like fun but I'm gonna hunt. It's my birthday and I'm gonna spend it doing something I enjoy." Jess blurted out and everyone was shocked even me.
"What?" I asked
"Yeah, it's been 1 year we've been in this cluster fuck of a world tomorrow. I keep track. Remember the night you gave me the crossbow was my birthday, and tomorrow it'll be a year. I'll be 17." She said walking to her cell
"I never knew she kept track." I said to myself and everyone nodded
"Cluster Fuck?" Rick asked smiling
"Yup!" Jessica shouted from her cell and we all laugh.
"Dam it!" Carl saids and Lori smacks him lightly in the head
"Watch your mouth son." She said and he shrugged her off
"What is it?" Rick asked but he didn't pay attention and ran up to his cell.

Carl's P.O.V
I ran to my cell hoping I still had it. I searched through my bag and found it at the bottom tucking it in my pocket. I found something at the gun store we were at on a dead walker and thought it was perfect so I took it not telling Jess. I slacked into her cell as she was cleaning her arrows.
"Hunting on your birthday. Your crazy." I said and she just smiled
"Well would you rather do that or move dead bodies?" She asked
"True, your going alone?" I asked and she nodded
"You know I love you hit I jut wanna be alone for a while. I won't be out all day I promise." She said and I smiled
"Ok good, cause we have to do something before you go ok?" I said and she raised her eyebrows looking at me.
"Carl.."
"Stop, not that. Just promise me you won't leave early and not tell me ok?" She smiled and nodded
"I promise." She said and I left her cell. It took us all day to do all this stuff so every kinda disappeared into their cells going to sleep as did I.