Chapter 10 - Dam it

We've been driving for a while until we came across the highway. We all stop at some random spot and get out meeting together by the RV as a group again to discuss a plan.
"We should search the cars, see what we can find. Gas, food, water, medicine, anything really useful." Rick said and we all nod
"Daryl, Jess you two should go out and hunt. We need food." I look at Daryl and he nods as do I.
"Carl, Shane and I will go looking around to see if theirs houses or something around here."
"No." Lori buts in and Carl just rolls his eyes
"Mom, I can take care of myself. I have my gun and knife and dad their." He left Shane out which I was ok with after the incident me and him had. Great now I remember my lip hurts. I thought to myself putting my two fingers on my lip feeling the mark.
"Lori, Carl's not two years old he can take care of himself when will you get over it." I said scowling her and looking at Shane scowling him as well and he looked down not making eye contact. And she let out a sigh
"Fine." She said and Carl lit up and hugged me.
"Thanks." He whispered in my ear.
"No prob." I said smiling back but stopping cause my lip hurt when I did.
"Ready?" Daryl asked and I nodded loading my crossbow.
"Hold on one second." I said and he nodded as I ran over to Dale.
"Hey Dale could you do me a favor?"
"Sure."
"If you find any pain killers I would appreciate if you save me some. My lip is throbbing and hurst like a bitch." I said and he just smiled
"I'll see what I can do." He said and I nodded running back to Daryl. I knew he had Merles stash but I didn't want to tell him my lip hurting or he would bother me about it so I didn't tell him.
"Let's go." He said and we started walking into the woods until I felt someone grab my arm.
"Be safe." It was Carl.
"Always am." I said back and e let go walking back over to Rick.
It's been about two hours and all we got was a couple squirrels and killed four walkers. Just then as I was thinking about something Daryl stopped me putting a hand in front of me. Their was a deer, it was beautiful. I haven't seen a live one in so long. I walked up to it slowly trying to see it better and right as I was about to aim my bow at it I heard a gunshot go off and felt a sharp piercing pain in my side as I fell to the ground. I blacked out.

Daryl's P.O.V
Jess walked up to the deer with amazement. I forgot she hasn't seen one in a long time so I let her look at it for a minute. She raised her bow to shoot it but as she was about to pull the trigger a gun shot went off and I saw her hit the ground. I ran to her as fast as I could. I knew I would have to tell the others. I remembered Rick and Shane should be around so I started calling their name until this fat guy came out of the bushes just as they appeared as well.
"Jessica!" Carl yelled running over to her as I was trying to get her to wake up. Shane had his gun at the guy and Rick was trying to talk to me.
"You son of a bitch!" I said getting up yelling at this guy.
"Daryl! Daryl!" Carl was yelling at me
"She's badly bleeding and her breathing is faint!" He yelled and I immediately picked her up off the ground as the guy told me about some farm to run to and get a guy named Hershel who could help.
"Carl get her bow and follow me!" I yelled as Carl did what I said. I was running with her in my arm feeling the blood form her shirt bleed into mine. Shane and Rick were right behind us with the guy. I could see a white house up ahead and a girl standing on the porch screaming something. I made it to the house trying to catch my breath.
"Some idiot shot my sister and said someone named Hershel could help is that you!" I asked yelling at this old guy with a beard and some girls standing around him.
"Bring her in here!" He said and I ran inside this house putting her on a bed. I heard Carl yelling at the prick who shot my sister.
"Sir I'm gonna need space to work on her. You need to leave." He said as a girl grabbed my arm leading me out of the room. I could barely stand up and I sat on this couch.
"What happened?" Rick asked as I was having a flashback of what jut happened. After I finally pulled myself together I saw the guy and ran up to him.
"THIS PRICK SHOT MY SISTER!" I yelled at him as Rick grabbed my arm trying to get my attention.
"Daryl, look at me!" He yelled as I back away from him.
"What!" I yelled
"I didn't see her standing their until she hit the ground."
"It's ok Ottis." I heard some lady tell this "Ottis" guy. Rick was sitting on the couch with Carl talking to him telling him it's gonna be ok. Shane was just standing their looking down at the ground with his gun in his hand. I grabbed her crossbow from Carl and set in on this table jut starring at it. Finally Hershel came out with some girl with brown hair behind him.
"She will be ok for now." He said and my heart sank
"For now?"
"The bullet separated into fragment inside her. Six pieces to be exact, she needs surgery."
"Then do it!" I yelled back at him
"The problem is I don't have the supplies. If we wait to long she'll die and if she wakes up during the operation I could hit something important and she will bleed from the inside." I could barely think my head was pounding with thoughts
"So where can we get the supplies?" I asked and I heard Ottis whisper something
"The high school."
"Exactly what I was thinking." Hershel said
"It was overrun last time I was their but maybe it's better now?"
"We'll have to take that risk." Shane said stepping up and I looked at him confused. If he was trying to step up for what he did it wasn't helping I was still pissed at him.
"Shane's right if it's her only we have to take it." Carl said
"I know." I said back still thinking. No one moved for a minute
"What the hell are we standing around for let's go!" I yelled and Shane grabbed his gun about to walk out the door as did I but Rick stopped us both.
"Daryl she needs you here, if she wakes up you know she's gonna wanna see you first. Shane what are you doing?" He asked looking at him as I nodded sitting down not wanting to argue.
"I'm going. You don't even know what to get and what that stuff looks like." Ottis said to Shane and me
"Come to think of it I don't." Shane said but Rick stopped him again.
"Rick, I have to make up for what I did to her. I'll be back." He said and Rick nodded letting him go. Ottis followed behind him and they left.
"What's your blood type?" Hershel asked me as I sat down.
"B-positive."
"What's her's?" He asked
"Same as mine."
"Good we'll need you." He said
"Beth, take him to get some blood. We have to be ready when they come back." Hershel said and this blond haired girl who looked a little older than Jess led me into a room getting my blood. I hated needles but for Jessica I don't care how many needles I have to have in me. After she was done she told me to go and sit down. I saw Rick and Carl talking with each other when it hit me as I sat.
"They don't know." I said quietly and Rick looked confused
"The group, their probably worried non of us are back yet. We have to get them over here." I said and Rick nodded
"Hershel, do you mind if I borrow one of your horses to bring our group over here since we will be here awhile. They are probably worried." Hershel nodded to Rick and he left patting Carl on the back off to the group. I could tell Carl was nervous being here with just me. It was awkward just us, I know him and Jess had a thing going on so it was weird.
"She tough." I finally said and he just nodded slowly
"I know." He said back quietly
"Look Carl, I know you like Jess and she likes you back. A lot, and I know she does because she always relaxes around you. She's never like that with anyone except me. Even sometimes she was tense around me. I just want you to know that I'm ok with you two together. I know you'll take care of her and she will take care of you too." I said and he was speechless.
"Thanks Daryl." Was all he said until Beth came standing with two plates of food.
"I got y'all somthin to eat. You especially since you just gave blood." She said handing me and Carl a plate.
"There about 6 or 7 more of us besides Rick and Shane." I said to her and she nodded
"Don't worry, I'll have a plate for em." She said with her thick southern accent. It was about 25 minutes late and I heard the cars pull up.
"Their here." I said to Carl handing Beth our plates.