Prologue : Destiny Calls

Photo Credit : http://channelvid.blogspot.com

THE CANDY FAIR, OCTOBER 02, 2010

MAINE

Wearing heels with pointy tips was a bad idea, Maine thought belatedly.

Her feet were beginning to ache, her toes felt the full impact of the squeezing tightness of her pointy stilettos. Arghhh, the sacrifice of trying to look sexy would one day be the death of her. Everything she wore today seemed okay before she left the house. She was confident that the denim shorts showcased her long slim legs, and her black stiletto pumps made her legs look even longer. Her tank top showed a bit of her taut midriff, which she could easily hide with her light grey jacket, just so her dad wouldn't have a fit and change his mind in allowing her to attend the fair.

All this for a picture with Daniel, who was supposedly gracing the event as one of the candy cuties. The irony of all this though, was that Daniel didn't show up. All her effort for nothing, and for sure, Coleen would have the last laugh when she got home. Dressing up for a stupid crush WAS pathetic. Little did Coleen know, she had another reason for coming to this fair.

Three weeks ago, Maine and her friends chanced upon a fortuneteller's booth in a mall. Out of curiosity, she and her friends had their fortunes read from a deck of playing cards. When it was her turn, the fortune teller gazed at her unblinking, with eyes that seemed to see through her. It was funny at first, straight out of a movie scene. After several deck shuffles, cuts and three knocks on the deck, she was given a reading of her future.

"Hija, sisikat ka," She said with conviction, as she flipped the cards one by one. "Sisikat ka, maraming hahanga sayo. Malapit mo na makilala ang magmamahal sayo ng tapat. Makikita mo siya sa isang malaking pagtitipon, maraming tao, maraming ganap. Three to four days, weeks or months from now, mangyayari ang pagtatagpo ninyo . Makikilala mo na siya. Maging mapagmasid dahil baka mawala rin siya sa iyo."

They all had a good laugh after that. But Maine hugged the reading to herself. She was a hopeless romantic, she liked the idea of meeting her destiny, and wanted it to happen. She wanted to meet the boy who would love her for real. Was it Daniel? 

And then it hit her, the Candy Fair was three weeks away. She excitedly planned her meeting with Daniel, thinking, hoping he was the one. He probably didn't know it yet, but she knew. She was so sure.

Pfffft. So far her search for Mr. Destiny was a dismal failure. Fortunetellers get away with it all the time, with nary a scratch. Hula nga eh, that's what they all say. Pwedeng magkatutoo, pwedeng hindi.

She wanted to walk around barefoot, she imagined her toes were deformed from standing for two hours in heels. But people would stare and she hated being ogled at. Fact is, she felt like someone was staring at her right now. She looked around, trying to shake off the weird feeling of being watched. Her gaze collided with an intensely brown pair of eyes, unblinking, staring at her appreciatively.

He was one of the Candy Cuties, wearing the white shirt with the Candy logo in front. Kinda cute, she decided, but his hair could use some grooming. He smiled slowly, and the dimples took her by surprise. Damn, his smile was incandescent. Perfect set of teeth, stubborn chin with a hint of stubble, a single pock mark on his right cheek that gave his face character instead of marring it.

"Maine," her friend Michele rushed toward her, breathlessly, holding on to a Candy Cutie for dear life.

"Take a pic of us please, sige na. We'll be leaving soon, andyan na sundo ko." She obliged wordlessly, losing interest in the fair. Going through the motion of taking pics, she listlessly glances away from the camera and finds Dimples still smiling at her, then he winks. Impulsively, she hands the camera to Michele.