Chapter Twenty One - Miggy's Story

Photo Credit : @joelclavio Instagram 

Finally, readers, a back story of sorts for Miggy!  This was difficult to write because I wanted to show Miggy as just a regular guy who was fighting for his love: a departure from his persona as the antagonist in this story. So here it is, a glimpse at how he became close to Maine, and how they fell apart. Reminder though, the Miggy in this story is just named Miggy, but his persona is not the same as Miggy from real-life Maine's past. Let's be clear about that, ok?

Anyway, enjoy reading, and leave your comments and suggestions below. Thank you for reading up to this point, my dears!

MAINE

Maine woke up to a Yaya Pe's knocking on her door. She checked her phone for the time and saw that it was half past nine in the morning. She opened the door and saw Yaya Pe looking flustered.

"O yaya, bakit parang stressed ka?"

"Maine, may naghahanap sayo sa baba, di ko siya kilala eh. Miggy daw pangalan."

"Ha? Andito siya sa Pilipinas? Sige po pakisabi bababa na ko. "

She washed up and changed into jeans and a sleeveless shirt, feeling a sense of dread. How can somebody who used to be her inspiration now make her feel like this? She left her room to go down and see what Miggy wanted.

His face lit up when he saw her, approaching her to kiss her cheek. She stiffened as he held her arm, discouraging him from actually kissing her. He air-kissed her instead.

"I found the book you were looking for, Meng. Did you receive it?"

"Yes I did, but I don't get what the gift was for, Miggy."

"Doesn't have to have a reason, I just saw the book and got it for you."

"Well, stop doing things like that, ok? Stop it."

"Maine, can't we even be friends at least?"

She looked at him for a minute, remembering all those nights she cried herself to sleep when he told her he'd stay in New York after making her believe they'd go back to Manila together and continue their relationship here. Despite this, she kept in touch with him even when her parents were against it, until months later, he admitted he would never leave New York because he grew up there. After one bitter argument on Skype, he stopped calling, and unfollowed all her social media accounts. Through common friends, she found out he later relocated to Miami.

"I can't be friends with you Miggy, especially now."

"Is it because of this dude Alden? Maine, what were you thinking getting into showbiz? Why would you give up your decent, simple life and join showbiz? This guy is a bad influence on you, he's getting you into his turf and changing you."

"Be careful of judging people you don't know, Miggy. Entering showbiz was a secret dream and it was my decision alone. You should know by now that I do things on my own terms, especially after my experience with you."

"Are you together now?"

"Not that it's any of your business but yes, we are."

The front door opened, Tatay Ted and Nanay Mary Ann came back from Sunday Mass. It was an awkward moment for Miggy since he never met Maine's parents before. Maine did the introductions to both unsmiling parents, who mentally compared Alden's willingness to meet them online, over Miggy's absenteeism in their daughter's life.

"Sorry to sound rude hijo," Nanay said, "But what brings you here?"

"Tita, I just visited Maine po while I'm in town. "