Chapter Thirty Seven - In A Heartbeat

Photo Credit: Screengrab from Eat Bulaga KS Episode on Youtube http://www.storknet.com/journals/ruthann/wk9.htm

Here it is my friends, the much-awaited chapter revealing the reason for Maine's nausea and dizzy spells. This is a happy period in the lives of ficMaine and ficAlden, and I wish it can happen too in real life.  They deserve all the happiness they can get :)

By the way, I will be posting a teaser of my new fic soon. Please be with me on that new journey as another verion of Maine and Alden will be introduced to you. It's going to be slightly different but still as fluffy, still as emotional and hopefully like this, with lessons in life also.

Have fun with this chapter my dears, can't wait to hear from you again :) 

As Alden promised her, they were back in her OB GYNE's office the following day. Her OB asked her a few questions about her current condition.

"Maine, can you count the times you actually threw up within two hours of taking your pills?"

"Several times doc. With the previous brand I think about three times. I also had upset stomach with it, that's why I asked for another brand. With the current one, no more stomach upset but I still feel nauseous."

"How long were you taking the pills before you actually threw up?"

"Nanay told me that I might need to wait till my body was accustomed to it, that's why I let three weeks pass before deciding to have it changed. With the replacement pill, I've been taking it for a month and a half already."

"Hmmm, so you've been on the pill for more than two months."

"Yes doc, how come my body seems to be reacting negatively to the pills?"

"I'm not sure yet Maine, but we'll run some tests, ok? But don't worry, your body responses are normal, it's not as though something's wrong with you."

"Doc, what are the possible reasons why Maine is feeling nauseous and dizzy all the time?"

"Well....I don't want to raise your hopes but she might be pregnant."

They both looked at each other with their mouths open. Alden's heart was beating hard, he crossed fingers on both hands and said a prayer. Please Lord, if it is your will, please make it happen for us. Only if it is part of your plan for us, Lord. He held Maine's clammy hand and squeezed reassuringly, smiling at her.

"But what does that mean doc? The pills didn't work?"

"Well, if you threw up within two hours of taking the pill, then it's as good as missing a dose for the day. For some, missing a single dose is enough to get pregnant, because you ovulate when you don't take the pill. In your case, you threw up several days and with the stomach upset, that's also as good as flushing out the effects of the pill even before your system absorbed it."

"So I may be pregnant doc?"

"That's an inconclusive assessment, ok? We will know for sure after I get the test results. I know you're both busy, so just give me a call tonight, we can just discuss over the phone. Ok?"

As they were on the way to Broadway, Alden kept looking at Maine. She was quiet, seemingly deep in thought. He wanted to know what was going on in her mind. His hand reached out to caress her cheek, and felt it damp with tears.

"Babe, why are you crying?" He changed lanes to veer to the left, parking in an emergency bay. He pulled her closer to him, kissing the top of her head, wrapping his arms around her.