Chapter Forty Two - Aftermath

Photo Credit: I lost the link of the website I got the pic from. Please note that this is not my photo and do not claim any rights to it.

Hello mga ka-neyshun. I'm sorry for not updating sooner, my fangirling was rudely interrupted by reality. I got so busy with work and turnovers before I transfer to my new job, kaya short update lang muna guys, but it contains what you need to know about Maine and the twins.

So here it is, my dears, read on. Hope this chapter merits your comments. Looking forward to hear from you as usual :)

6:00 AM, July 16, 2018

Alden was breathless by the time he reached the suite. Dr. Reyes was there discussing with Nanay, while Coleen, Nico and Dean listened.

"Richard, good morning. "

"Good morning doc, kumusta na mag-iina ko?

"Richard, the c-section went along smoothly, stable naman ang vital signs ni Maine. She is still being monitored in the recovery room but will be taken here in two hours maybe. We just want to be sure that she is ok."

"Salamat naman po doc, kumusta po yung kambal?"

"Richard, as you know 31 weeks pa lang sila. For a normal birthing kasi, dapat at least 36 weeks for the baby to be considered fully developed. We anticipated that Maine would be delivering prematurely, that's why we gave her steroids to speed up development of the twins' lungs. Sa ngayon, naka-incubator sila, my colleague, Dr. Sembrano is monitoring their progress. I suggest you talk to Dr. Sembrano for a more detailed report on the twins. Nasa nursery si Dr. Sembrano, you can buzz him there and request to see your babies."

"Doc, kahit opinion mo lang, ano ba sa tingin mo lagay ng mga anak ko?"

"Richard, offhand I'd say that we need to monitor them muna. Basta premature, close monitoring talaga kailangan. I cannot give you an accurate prognosis but if it's any consolation, babies have been born here at only 28 weeks and yet, they survive."

After Dr. Reyes left, Alden tried to calm himself by talking to his in-laws and his family. They agreed to hold a prayer vigil for the twins, but were thankful that Maine was out of danger. He wanted to wait till Maine was in the room before he went to see the twins and their pediatrician, but he needed to know how the twins were doing.

"Dad, pwede mo ba kong samahan? Medyo kinakabahan ako humarap sa pedia nung kambal eh."

"Tibayan mo loob mo anak, lalo na ngayon na tatay ka na. Halika, alamin na natin kung anong lagay ng kambal mo."

They agreed with Maine's parents that they would see the twins while Maine's parents would wait in the suite in anticipation of Maine's release from the recovery room.

Alden and his dad reached the wing where the nursery was located. The viewing area was closed since it was still early in the morning. He heard faint sounds of a baby crying, a sound that tugged at his heartstrings. Weeks before this moment, he and Maine were attending Lamaze birthing sessions, because Maine wanted to give birth the natural way. They were all psyched for it despite Dr. Reyes' warning that there was a likelihood that Maine would be giving birth prematurely, and it would have to be a quick birthing to avoid getting the babies under stress.

He would have wanted to be there during Maine's giving birth, to see Athena and Siegfried when they first open their eyes and cry, to hold them in his arms, to have a family picture together with Maine and the twins. But things didn't happen as planned.