Chapter Five - Sweet Surrender

Hi Guys! I was supposed to update "Fix You" but your votes and comments inspired me to do an update here first. We're getting closer to more exciting adventures of AU Alden and Maine, and challenges they will be facing to fight for their relationship. As always, please comment and share with me the parts you liked most. For those wanting an update on "Fix You," not to worry, I will be updating "Fix You" this weekend as well. Enjoy your weekend and happy reading :)

Maine woke up wrapped like a cocoon, her whole body swathed in a warm wooly blanket. Disoriented, she belatedly realized she was not in her bedroom in Dolci and someone's breath was fanning her ear intermittently. Alden was asleep with his arms wrapped protectively around her, her face buried against his neck.

She remembered ogling his pictures, gazing at the mole on his neck, wondering what it would be like to kiss that mole. Don't do it Maine, she warned herself. But with her lips just a few millimeters away from his neck, Alden in deep sleep, the opportunity seemed ripe for her to give in. Her lips moved ever so slowly with the least movement of her head, brushing against his neck, a featherlight stroke of a kiss. Alden remained asleep but hugged her closer, pressing her lips closer to his neck.

He smells so good, dammit. Grabe ka Maine, ang aga mong mag-init. With her lips involuntarily pressed against his neck, she wondered how to get out of his arms without waking him. Harot mo kasi Nicomaine, she mentally berated herself, while relishing the feel of Alden's body against hers. The conflicting feelings were driving her crazy. She tried to roll away from him slowly, so as not to wake him but he stirred anyway, slowly opening his eyes.

"Good morning," he said, flashing his killer smile. He was looking down at her, their faces so close to each other.

"Good morning," she croaked back. "Why are we in bed together?"

He loosened his hold on her, his hands lingering in her neck to feel for her temperature. She took the opportunity to roll away from him and sit up but the sudden movement made her so dizzy she had to lie down again.

"Huy, easy. Medyo mainit ka pa, pero di na kasingtaas ng lagnat mo last night. Nag-chill ka, even with the blanket nangangatog ka pa rin, so..."

"Oh. Sorry sa abala. Thanks sa pag-alaga. Pero nakakahiya naman sana hindi mo na ko binantayan, sana kahit si Mama Ten na lang."

"Mas gusto mo bang si Mama Ten ang yumakap sayo?"

"Grabe ka, inaano ka ba? Maysakit na nga ako ang hihirap pa ng tinatanong mo."

"Uy, mukhang pagaling ka na, bumabalik na angas mo eh." He laughed and winked at her. " Bakit naging mahirap sagutin yung tanong ko? Ayaw mong i-hug kita? Kita mo pagaling ka na."

"Akala mo siguro dahil artista ka, kahit sinong babae madali mong makukuha."

He would've felt insulted with what she just said, if not for her revelation the night before. He knew she was still struggling with her attraction for him, so he decided to let the statement pass. He just smiled and got out of bed, went to his bathroom to brush his teeth and take a quick shower.

Maine thought she offended him and was immediately sorry for what she said. Feeling this attraction for Alden was not a good idea, but much as she wanted to fight it, fate just seemed to bring them together repeatedly. She got up and got her clothes from yesterday, now completely dry. She took a hot shower, used the disposable toothbrush to brush her teeth and changed back to her own clothes.

By the time Maine joined them in the patio, the sun was shining and food was on the table. An assortment of cold cuts, breads, hash browns and scrambled eggs made her stomach growl. There was freshly squeezed orange juice and a pot of steaming coffee for drinks.

"Maine, tamang tama, ready na breakfast. Lika na, huwag ka mahiya," Mama Ten waved at her to come nearer.

"Salamat po, kayo po?"

"Kumain na kami kanina. Sige kain ka na, para gumaling ka na."

Alden was on the phone, talking to someone. He was serious, as though discussing a problem with whoever was on the other end of the line. After a few more minutes, he said his goodbyes and joined her for breakfast. He was quiet, as though he had something on his mind.

"May problema ba?"

"Problema? Depende."

"Huh? Depende saan?"

"Kain muna tayo, tapos pagusapan natin, ok?"

"Mababa EQ ko sa ganyan eh, now na."

"Hmmmm..."

"Teka, problema mo lang ba yan or problema ko?"

"Sige ganito na lang...... Did you notice na we seem to be fated to always bump into each other?"

"Twice pa lang naman ah."

"OK, twice pero here, in Italy? What are the odds of us meeting here diba? Na same date andito tayo in the same part of Italy?"

"Ok...so where are you going with this?"

"I don't want to rely on fate anymore. I want to see you, get to know you more."

"Why?"

"Anong why? Di pa ba obvious? Maine, I like you. REALLY like you."

"Why me?"

"Is there ever any logic involved to liking someone?"

"Yes, kahit pano may reason yan."

"I'd like to say I'm attracted to you physically pero that's not really accurate."

"I wouldn't believe you rin naman if that's your reason."

"Are you going to bash your looks again?"

"Look, artista ka. So many beautiful barbies around you, yet you don't fall for any of them. And now you say you like me. I don't understand. Who am I? I'm not beautiful, I'm just funny."

"Maine. Get to know me better before you judge me. I don't really fall for looks, although believe me, in my eyes, you're a knock-out. I just fall for someone because my heart feels it."

"That's not very wise, falling like that could get you hurt."

"I'm willing to take that risk." He took her hand, willing her to look at him. "I know it's difficult to believe but give us a chance, let's get to know each other. If it doesn't work out, we can be friends. Is that so bad?"

And just like that, her gut feeling tells her it's ok to take a risk. Maybe it was because she was more than a little attracted to him. But she remembers how he took care of her last night, a preview of the type of boyfriend he would be, if they get to that stage. She looks at him THE Alden Richards, holding her hand, looking at her expectantly, unsure of himself. He doesn't know how special he is, despite his fame.

"OK."

She smiles at him, squeezes his hand, feeling her heart beat so fast and strong, she had to take a few gulps of water to calm down. He smiles, his dimple deepening, so much so that she couldn't resist touching it, to feel how deep it went on his cheek.

"You won't regret this, I swear."

"We'll see," She said cautiously. "Yun lang ba? Parang di naman yun problema ha."

"Oh. About the problem. Ahhh, Maine...."

"What?"

"Someone took a picture of us in the water taxi and uploaded on Twitter and Facebook."

"HA???"