Chapter Fifteen - Paradigm Shift

Photo Credit - I'm sorry but  I couldn't trace the original owner of this photo so I will just state here that I do not own this photo nor claim it as my own.

Hi readers, just a short update for you.  Will be busy the next few days, working on a new story and participating in AMACon3"s 30-day drabble challenge. Our "drabbles" or short stories will be posted on Twitter so follow us there @AMAConOfficial for updates and access to our stories. This is actually a qualifying activity for us writers in preparation for AMACon3, so hope you can support us by reading our drabbles.

Anyway, back to our bibis, watch out for a major change in their lives, as the next few chapters will show. Again, I hope you enjoy this chapter, enough to comment or share your thoughts. More updates soon :)

Alden was in a bad mood. Today was Maine's meeting with Kris Aquino, and much as he wanted to accompany Maine, he couldn't. It was a business meeting, and even though Maine asked him to accompany her, he felt it wasn't right to do so. He did not want to cloud her judgement on anything that was up for discussion. She asked her mom to come with her instead.

To be honest, he had a bad feeling about this meeting. But he only had himself to blame. By herself, Maine was a social media celebrity, in fact sometimes, she gets the occasional request for a selfie with people who follow her Youtube account. But ever since they started dating, people began to take more interest in her, and this included people in his circle.

Knowing Kris as a shrewd businesswoman, she might have something up her sleeve that would involve Maine, hence the meeting. What are the odds that Maine would get interested in entering showbiz? Would she accept an offer from his rival station? Would she consider his feelings about it? He knew she had feelings for him but they were not in a formal relationship, really. And if she does get a good offer, he wouldn't get in the way especially if this is something she wants to do.

He had been waiting at GMA's boardroom for the Drama Productions Team to make a presentation on his next teleserye and movie projects. With him were Leysam and Jenny Ferre, the latter representing APT because Alden has a three-year movie contract with them. Thus, any movie projects he has are usually co-produced by GMA Films and APT.

The writers were finally done setting up their presentation, and started to show him teleserye ideas. There were three teleserye plots presented to him; one was a remake of a popular Koreanovela, another was a drama/love story that would be shot abroad, and another was a formulaic drama/love story/third party soap.

He stifled a yawn, not out of boredom but more because he lacked sleep. Maine's meeting really bothered him. If she truly wants a showbiz career, he could help her be introduced to the right people. But knowing Maine, she'd want to be discovered for her merits instead of getting into the business because of his connections.

"What do you think of these projects, Alden? Which one would you like to do?" The Entertainment TV Group Head asked him.

"Uhmm, I'll be honest with you, the plots are ok. But I'm looking for something different to do. I'm pretty sure the viewers also want to see new storylines."

"Different in what way?"

"Something people have never seen me do. I'm ok with a love story pero sana iba naman ang twist, ayoko na ng third party. I want to do something that people will find unpredictable, something that they will look forward to."

"Alden, you know GMA is always ready to experiment on new plots. We've done My Husband's Lover and the gamble paid off. That's My Amboy was also a good gamble, same as Little Nanay. Sige we'll work on new storylines."

"Guys, I totally respect the hard work you've put in for this. So don't get offended if I make a suggestion. I've been reading stories on wattpad. Yes, gulat kayo no, I do read fan fiction about me and I've read several that are really good. "

The writers seemed dumbfounded, some looked insulted. He knew what they were thinking, why look elsewhere for story ideas when there was a whole team of writers here? They were paid to churn out stories so why would they need to search wattpad and pay an external amateur writer to do their jobs?

"I hope you guys can open your minds to new things. Wattpad is a gold mine of story ideas, please consider the stories in your research for new material. I won't influence you on which stories I like, just take a look at the top ranking fan fictions there and let me know how possible it is to turn one of them into a teleserye. Baka matuwa pa yung fans lalo pag ginawa natin yun."

"Sige Alden, noted. We'll be meeting with you again a week from now for another presentation. Thanks." One by one, the writers left the board room. Alden remained seated, checking his phone for any messages from Maine. 

"Bakit parang bad mood ka?" Jenny asked him, looking at him curiously.

"Wala Ma'am Jenny, may iniisip lang."

"Ano ba yung choices mo sa wattpad? I want to read them. If we find something good, maybe we can work with the material for your future movie projects."

"Sige po, I'm glad you're open to the idea."

"Oo, basahin namin ng writers natin. Actually, mahirap din mag isip ng storyline, kasi kailangan din natin isipin kung kakagatin ng audience natin yung stories."

"Tingin ko naman kakagatin yun kasi kung mataas nga ranking nila sa wattpad, ibig sabihin maraming readers yung stories. Mostly, commercially viable rin naman yung stories."

"Sige, send mo sakin yung link, we'll read over the weekend."