Chapter 10 - Arrivederci

Reluctantly, the Italy vacation comes to an end. It's back to reality for Alden and Maine, but at least by now, they've become really close. There are challenges along the way in their journey, let's see how determined they are to keep what they have together. 

Thank you for still following my story, dear readers, we're now halfway through this journey for ficAlden and ficMaine. Thanks for the love and encouragement, I will be coming out with another story soon, a spin-off from this one. 

Keep the comments coming, I really value your thoughts, and have a great week ahead!

Her bags were already packed, her bill settled. Maine was checking out a day earlier because she and Alden wanted to spend their last night together. Alden was picking her up any minute now, to transfer her things to his villa and take Maine on a gondola ride as the sun sets in the Grand Canal. Maine was already feeling the claws of separation anxiety gripping her. This is what she hated about falling in love. But wait, was she?

Throughout her two week stay in Italy, Alden had been her constant companion. Although her plan was to travel alone for the first time, experiencing Venice, Verona, and Florence became more meaningful because Alden went out of his way to make the trip memorable for her.

She was a realist, to the point of pessimism. She disliked wanting anything so much because it usually breaks her heart when things go awry. When she didn't make it to Eat Bulaga, she tried to mask the disappointment by prepping herself for an exciting career in flying. With the perks and travels her job gave, it was easy to convince herself that a career in showbiz was not meant for her. But falling in love with the country's top male heartthrob? What were the odds of making this work?

The shop bell tinkled to signal Alden was already here. She waved him over to her table, feeling warm all over when he smiled at her.

"Did you sleep well last night?" He looked so fresh and clean shaven, she had to make a big effort not to stare.

"Surprisingly yes, but only for a few hours. Woke up at 4:00 AM so just spent the time reading."

"Ah, sayang. You should've messaged me. I was awake by that time and went out for a run. We could've gone running together."

He took her hand and kissed it, her fingers naturally lacing through his. Maine was not one for public displays of affection but Alden made it so natural for her to be clingy. Their sweet interlude was interrupted when Amato came out to hand Maine her receipt.

"Arrivederci eh, Maine? Come back soon," He said bussing her on both cheeks. Alden shook hands with Amato and took Maine's trolley bag, ushering her out of Dolci. His place was a short walk from here, and they walked in companionable silence, both wondering about what the future brings for them.

Alden would have liked to bring Maine with him to Lake Como for his shoot, but decided it was better to leave things as they were. The shoot would take 7 working days if the weather was good, but by the time he got back, he'd be leaving again soon. Mentally calculating his schedule, he won't be available for Maine till three weeks from now.

"What are you thinking, Richard?"

They paused at the door of his villa, ringing the bell and waiting for Leysam or Mama Ten to open the door. Leysam let them in, taking her trolley from Alden and leading it to his room, where Maine slept when she was sick the last time.

" 'Sam, hindi. Sa room ko yan. Thanks."

She was surprised and found it a bit presumptuous of him to assume it was ok with her for them to share his room, but she didn't say anything. He took her hand and guided her to his room. It was a simple but spacious room furnished with a white two-seater couch, a queen-sized bed, a coffee table and chairs. She appreciated that he kept the door partially open, to assure her that he had no ulterior motives for taking her to his room. Together, they sat side-by-side on the couch.