Chapter Eight - Inner Conflict

Photo Credits : http://www.agriturismodelo.com/en/photogallery

Ok, here we go, our favorite couple is in the romantic city of Verona. But unlike their experience in real life wherein they went to Verona for just a day visit, here, they get to spend the night in a romantic part of Verona, far from prying eyes! It's the perfect backdrop to take their relationship off to a good start. As always, feel free to comment, hopefully no violent reactions, just kilig all the way :) Have a great weekend peeps !

Alden, Maine, Leysam and Mama Ten took the 6:32 in the morning train to Verona, a one hour trip from Venice. The varying orange hues of the sky created a majestic sunrise over the quaint rooftops of centuries old Venetian structures, giving a lovely prelude to the wonderful day ahead. Maine was so excited for this trip, so much so that she had difficulty sleeping and spent the night on Google, trying to check out what they could do in Verona.

Alden was mum about what to expect, all she knew was that they would be spending the night in Verona but he didn't share what hotel in particular. She was actually worried about the accommodation arrangements. Did he expect to share a room with her since he shouldered everything? Was he expecting her to commit to him after this trip even when they barely knew each other? What if Filipino fans based in Verona saw them and took another photo of them in the same hotel?

These questions made her quiet throughout the train ride, which did not escape Alden. He was attuned to every nuance of her.

"You've been quiet since we got on the train. What's on your mind, Menggay?

" Alden-"

"Richard, call me Richard. Or RJ, my family calls me that."

"Richard....I'm not totally ok that you're spending so much on this trip. I think I should chip in somehow."

"It's not that much, Maine. It's not like I'm spending beyond my means. Besides, I'm just taking advantage of our time together. I have one more week left with you, and then I'm off to Lake Como for my shoot."

"If you must know, I'm not really used to being pampered with expensive gifts or surprises. I feel pressured to give back something in return for all this."

"What?! No, don't think that way. Maine, let's just enjoy our time together. As you get to know me, you'll see I'm pretty transparent, I don't have hidden motives when I do nice things for you. No pressure, I'll wait till you're ready to be closer with me. I know you might still be recovering from Miggy-"

"Oh my, how do you know about Miggy?"

"Kay Coleen."

"Grabe gano ba katagal kayo nag-usap at pati si Miggy napagusapan? Look, sige, since you mentioned Miggy, please, hindi siya issue. Hindi ko siya naging boyfriend, MU lang kami. I had feelings for him, true. But I guess, my feelings weren't enough to make me stay in New York with him or make him go back to Manila with me. We tried to make it work long distance but it didn't, so..."

"Do you still have feelings for him? Are you still hoping things will work out?"

"I'll be honest with you, I miss him sometimes. But I'm a realist. The fact that neither of us was able to take the next step just to be together shows our feelings weren't deep enough. But I miss being taken care of, the togetherness, the knowledge that you're not alone. Yung feeling na kahit things aren't going my way, I can expect na may pagsusumbungan ako and he will make it better."

Alden took her hand and held it close to his chest. "Maine, no pressure for you to reciprocate my feelings, ok? It's enough that I shared my intentions with you, I just wanted to be upfront. For now, let's get to know each other, enjoy lang tayo. Just  let me do special things for you, because I'm happy when I make you happy. You can talk to me about anything, kahit math kasi favorite subject ko yun. Haha, corny ko."

She laughed at his pathetic joke anyway. Alden was an adorable dork, she discovered. He's the quintessential dork who wants to be cool, but ends up being cute for his efforts.

They finally reached Verona Porta Nuova at 7:30 AM. Alden proceeded to the car rental booth and rented a white Mini Cooper to use around Verona. He drove away from the commercial district, the tourist spots, and soon, it was all greenery around them. The lush greenery of the vineyards in the countryside looked so serene and picturesque, it was a side of Verona Maine did not know existed. She expected Verona to be just a commercial tourist destination, rather than this heavenly lush greenery they were passing through.

"Are we still in Verona? Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," He said mysteriously. "I chose a bed and breakfast for our accommodations instead of a hotel in the city. This way we can be sure that we won't be photographed staying in the same place."

"How come you seem to know the way?"

"Googled it. Pag gusto, may paraan Maine. You will like this place, I'm sure of it."

After more than 30 minutes driving, they finally reached their destination.They entered a property with neatly manicured lawns, tall trees and a structure with stone walls and terracotta concrete roofing that was typical this side of Italy. The quiet was punctuated by chirping of birds and rustling of tree leaves as a gentle breeze blew.

A slim and well-coiffed lady approached them, smiling "Welcome to Agriturismo Delo Relais," she said, warmly ushering them into the building. The structure was simple outside but so warm and cozy inside. The interior looked like someone's home, with period furniture, Persian carpets and antique chandeliers creating a nostalgic feel that was romantic as well as homey.

 The interior looked like someone's home, with period furniture, Persian carpets and antique chandeliers creating a nostalgic feel that was romantic as well as homey

Agriturismo Delo Relais had only nine rooms, but these were all roomy and with a good view. After discussing for quite a while with the manager, Alden approached her, his face flushed.

"Oh, bakit? Wala tayong rooms?"

"Meron, kaso lang, two rooms lang ang na-reserve nila for us."

"Hala pano yan?"

"Sorry ha, pero don't worry, medyo naayos ko na. Two rooms tayo but two-bedroom suite yung mapupunta satin para separate rooms pa rin tayo. Sina Leysam and Mama Ten dun sa isang twin room. I'm really sorry, di kami nagkaintindihan when I called last night." He looked genuinely worried that she would be offended by the arrangement. She remained quiet for a moment, thinking.

"Maine, are you worried about sharing a room with me?

"Yes, kinda...."

"Don't be. I'll behave."

"Promise?"

"So long as you stop looking at me like that."

"Sorry Richard, can't promise that."