Chapter Forty One - Waiting

Photo Credit : Taken from www.bgc.com.ph/article/st.-lukes-medical-center

Hello dear readers! Thank you very much for the positive responses to my next story. It was very inspiring to read the support and encouragement for my next work, which I cannot wait to share with you. I will be launching the story on October 1st, supposedly the first monthsary of Aldub on Kalye Serye. It would be wonderful if all of you will give "Broken Promises" the same support for Love, Anonymous. 

Currently, Love, Anonymous has already reached 105k reads and 8.4K votes! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to get a following, because I only wrote this to relieve stress and pay homage to MaiChard. It is only fair that the story ends with an ending worthy of our OTP.

Please read on, my dears. Our ficAlden and ficMaine will face their last challenge before I close Love, Anonymous. Would love to hear from you as usual so feel free to comment :)

3:00 AM, July 16, 2018

Maine woke up with pain in her abdomen, very similar to dysmenorrhea pains. She had been on bed rest for the past two weeks upon advice of Dr. Reyes, due to premature contractions at her 29th week of pregnancy. She was given some steroid shots to speed up the lung development of the twins, was advised to stay in the hospital for closer monitoring but she refused and just promised to be on bed rest till her delivery date.

She tried to sit up, pulling Alden's arm away from her chest. He stirred, carefully moving his body away from her and sat up.

"You need to go to the bathroom babe?"

"Not really, it's just that my back hurts."

"You want me to massage it? Will that ease the pain? Or do you want a hot water bottle?"

" Di ko alam, since I'm awake sige I'll go to the bathroom na rin."

He got up from his side and walked around to hers, taking both of her hands to help her stand up. Her tummy was considerably bigger now even though she was still at least five weeks away from full term. He was alarmed to see a spot of blood on her nightdress behind her.

"Babe, may spotting ka yata. Magbihis ka, let's go to the hospital."

Maine did not argue with him. Her hospital bag was long prepared weeks ago, because Dr. Reyes warned her that her endometriosis made her a candidate for premature birthing. The contractions two weeks ago were another telltale sign. She grabbed a dress and underwear from the walk-in closet and changed.

Alden tried not to panic but deep down he was in turmoil. He was worried that something might happen to Maine or the twins. Although Dr. Reyes assured them that Maine had a healthy pregnancy, the contractions weeks ago bothered him. He tried to drive carefully but as fast as possible.

"RJ, promise me if the doctors asked you to choose who to save, you'd pick our babies," Maine said in a shaky voice, her hand grasping his firmly. "Promise me, please. Ang liit pa nila pareho, ayoko sila mahirapan. Tell the doctors to save them."

"Maine, stop. I will not be asked to choose because you will deliver safely. There have been so many successful premature deliveries, our babies will make it. You will make it. You have to, Maine. Wag mo ko takutin."

"Basta you know my priority babe. Sila muna bago ako. Promise me."

"Ayoko! Tangina, tigilan natin usapan na to, ok? Please baby, stop thinking about upsetting things, it might worsen your condition. Enough ha, ayoko na makinig sayo."