Chapter Six - Gaining Momentum

Surprise! Sometimes a story takes a life of its own and it just flows. I rarely update this fast but the story begs to be written, nagging inside my head. So here it is, I hope this is as nice a surprise for you as it is for me. Thanks for reading and following this story, you all inspire me with your encouraging comments and votes! Cheers, readers! It's a happy time for Alden and Maine in my alternate universe :)

Alden showed her the photo uploaded on Facebook and Twitter. Tagged "Mystery Woman," the photo showed her with Alden inside the vaporetto, looking as though they were engaged in a loving embrace. Alden's head was bent as though he were whispering or kissing her head, while Maine's face was thankfully facing away from the camera. It was a blurry shot, but Alden could easily be identified.

"Maine, are you ok?" Alden's hand reached out to caress her cheek.

"I....think so. I don't know. They didn't capture my face but next time, I might not be so lucky."

She was in shock, actually. Being in the limelight like this was so different from attention she got for her dubsmash videos. For dubsmash, apart from the odd selfie requests she got in Manila from people who recognized her, most of the feedback were in social media and focused on her dubsmashes. Getting involved with Alden would mean allowing the public access to her personal life, subjecting herself to bashing and hounding of media.

"Maine, I already talked just now to Mark Sablan, he's GMA's head for PR and Events. I told him to coordinate on my behalf with GMA News, to avoid featuring the photo as news in Chika Minute."

"Chika Minute? Oh my God aabot don yung photo? Alden, I need to talk to my parents. Ang alam nila mag-isa ako dito sa Italy nag-holiday. They'll think I lied if they find out we're dating here."

"Look, Maine, Chika Minute will not feature us, okay? That's been taken care of. But since the photo is in FB and Twitter, we can't avoid tabloids picking up the story. I'm being transparent with you, sooner or later we will be talked about."

"Alden....wait. Teka lang, I'm not sure I want-"

"Maine, look at me." He gently angled her chin to face him. "I've been in this business for more than five years, without getting into a relationship. Sure, several times, I've been tempted, but never compelled to do so. Ngayon lang. I have a good feeling about us, I'm ready to face whatever it takes, just to be with you."

"That's what I don't understand. What's with this compulsion? Bakit ako?"

"Don't you want to stick it out and see what's in store for us? I know you've been hurt before-"

"How do you know that?"

"I read your ask.fm account. I wanted to get to know you better but time did not allow me to do so--"

"May problema ka pala sa time so how will you get to know me? Meanwhile, media will portray me as the third party between you and Patring."

"Maine, once and for all there's nothing between me and Patring. I just brought her with me once during a movie premiere and it was logical because she was also in that movie. Will you please listen to me? Let me finish what I have to say, okay?"

She looked at him, suddenly scared. Galing mo talaga pumasok sa alanganing sitwasyon, Nicomaine. Pipili ka lang ng manliligaw, taga-showbiz pa, at sobrang sikat ha. Ganda mo eh.

It was difficult to see Alden as her suitor. He was the stuff her dreams were made of, her inspiration behind her Wattpad stories. OH. MY. GOD. It had been months since she last wrote anything new in her Wattpad stories. But what if media got hold of her stories, the books she'd written with her and Alden as main characters? What if Alden finds out about them? Shit. Thank God she wrote under a pseudonym, but using her real name as lead character in her stories sounded stupid now. She needed to deactivate that account. But deactivate her outlet for stress?

"Maine? Hey, are you okay? You look pale."

"Huh? No, I'm okay, but..wait, I'm...Ewan ko. Alden what will I do?"

He checked his watch and reached for some water and Neozep, opened the foil pack to take the tablet out and put it in her mouth. Maine's doubts melted away with this simple deed. In the middle of all the mess, Alden remembered her medication, putting her welfare first before anything else. How would she let go of this special man, even if it would take so many challenges to let him into her life? Like a good girl, she took the medication and allowed him to lead her to the couch. They sat down together, Alden pulled her closer to his side, his hands holding hers.

"Maine, here's what we'll do. First, I'll take you back to Dolci, so that you can change your clothes. We'll call someone from your family, kanino ka ba close?"

"Kay Coleen. Pero pwede bang si Ate Nikki na lang? So that she can help us tell my parents."

"Baka magtampo si Coleen sayo pag ate mo una pang nakaalam so we'll talk to both of them. I'll talk to them. I'll ask them to schedule a facetime chat with your family so that I can talk to your parents face-to-face. But that is, if you're still willing to go through this with me."

"You'd do all of this for me? Hindi ka natatakot sa tatay ko?"

"Of course kinakabahan ako pero hindi ako natatakot. I have good intentions, Maine. Madaming dapat ayusin, lalo na yung schedule ko, but I can do it. I will make time for you."

"Are you for real? I won't lie, Alden. I like you, enough to go through with this. But I'm scared that one day you'll realize this was all a mistake."

He pulled her close, hugging her tightly.

"I'm yours Maine. Ngayon pa lang, you can believe that. I'm already yours."