CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Hinila ako ni Ash sa pamamagitan sa paghawak sa aking siko at nagsimulang maglakad palayo doon. Alam nya na hindi ako aalis. . . na wala akong balak umalis kung hindi nya ako hihilahin.

I looked back as I saw her lying on the cold pavement. . . undead, as to how those things and creatures that are lurking in this world. The only difference is that she isn't walking dead and become such mindless beasts that would only care for flesh from living people.

She didn't become like those beasts, since she chose to be killed by putting a bullet inside her brain just as how those creatures are being killed.

My body is shaking as I looked in front again, with my tears continue to fall from my eyes. I wiped them with the back of my hand as I let Ashton pull me somewhere. I just couldn't believe. . . that I let someone be killed right in front of me.

If only I was a little bit faster. . .

Maybe if I just didn't take my eyes off of her.

Then, maybe we would still see her angelic face beaming with happiness despite how the world turns cold like she's out there as our living sunlight amidst this darkness.

Naging malapit sa akin si Sasha. . . hindi lamang sa akin kung hindi pati na rin sa iba. Kahit na tulad namin na minsang nakakasulubong lamang namin sa University at tanging ngitian lang ang nagaganap, this apocalypse actually made us closer with each other.

Sasha was your typical girl. Malambing, mabait, hindi spoiled brat, at maiintindihan ka. She's one of the silent types of person but once she started speaking, it's either she'll touch you with her words, or she'll captivate you with her angelic and Barbie-like face.

Sa isang araw na iyon, nakita ko kung paano sya mag alala sa mga kasama namin at ganon rin sila sa kanya.

I still remember our little talk earlier. I couldn't but smile sadly as I remember her innocent face as she sat down with me earlier. It was when before we headed our way and in which, I was still bothered by Farrah's suspicious behavior.

And Sasha sat down with me as she started lightening up my confused mind.

"I saw you bothered, are you okay?" She's smiling at me and even with worry in her eyes, she still looks barbie with her blue eyes that made me think that she has the blood of foreigners.

I regretted that I lied to her, "I'm just thinking of our plan," When I should've told her the truth. . . about my best friend hiding something from us, from me.

But still, she gave me her warmest smile as she said. "I'm just here, okay? I'm always willing to listen to every one of you and I know, even though we aren't really close, I want you to know what I'm always proud of everyone."

And I didn't have a chance to say that I am proud of her too.

And knowing that we are the only family that's left for her. . . she said it to us when she's the one to open up. Because everyone opened up regarding their dark past in able for us to fully trust each other, and what she said really stuck in my mind.

"My foreigner father left us when I was still a child. So it was only me and my mother since her family disowned her after knowing that she's pregnant, from someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions. My mother strives to give everything to me, which is the reason why I'm studying at the finest school and where I met all of you," She paused as she wiped her tears away, yet she still gave us a smile even when her eyes are gleaming with tears that were being highlighted by the sun above.

"I was lucky to be chosen as part of scholars, which means I have benefits. I thought it's the end of our hardships, but then, a month later after my birthday, she fainted and when I brought her to the hospital, I learned that she has stage four lung cancer from her working at the bar to gave me the best life she could ever give to me, and later that month, she gave back the life she borrowed," I looked up and wiped my tears away. It's so heartbreaking that she's experiencing it at such a young age.