CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

"How many are injured?" Mama Hyacinth said after a while.

I saw one of the people wearing their PPEs lifted her small notebook as if that's where she put the list of the results, "There only one injured, Ma'am," She said as all of them looked at me. Mama Hyacinth instantly looked at my place before I lifted my finger in which some of them- I mean, those people wearing their prescribed PPEs were shocked that I heard them gasped as before they took steps backward to put some distance from me.

"Kaesha, come with me to the lab," Mama Hyacinth said to me before she looked at the others, "Assist them to the basement," In which some of those people who are wearing their PPEs nodded their head and quickly followed Mama Hyacinth's command.

As I watched them- together with our companions until they disappeared in our sight.

I looked at Mama Hyacinth, who's currently talking to some scientist, which I think her companions are. Just as when I felt Farrah move closer to me and whispered, "This is where fantasy starts," She said that made me look at her with questions plastered in my face. . . because I don't understand, yet she just shook her head, and before I know it, she engulfed me with a tight hug, placing her head in my shoulder, and I saw her closed her eyes.

"I miss you, best friend. I'm sorry," She whispered, and with every word she just spoke, the sincerity in it couldn't be mistaken.

My heart melted, hearing what she said, "I miss you too," As I hugged her too. Tight, as what she's giving me.

"Farrah, take some rest first. You did well saving your friends," We both looked at Mama Hyacinth, who seemed as if done talking to those scientists, as some of them started going away as if following what Mama Hyacinth just ordered them to do, yet there are still some people who remained with us.

In my peripheral vision, I saw Farrah's shoulder lowered down as if she's still disappointed.

"But our other companions were caught because I was too late," And now she's blaming herself again. Look how pure she is. That's why I didn't tell them about what happened to them because I don't want them to change their perspective to this woman who's just a victim of the cruel reality as I sighed. That was really a hard decision, but what's done is done.

"Don't worry; he got it already. Now, take some rest, or you could help your sister to prepare for their foods," He? But I couldn't speak and ask them since I think it's their Mother-Daughter bonding. Who am I to butt into their talks just to feed up my curiosity?

Farrah crossed her arms, and she looks as if she remembered something as her face turned sour. "Hmp! Inis ako kay Ate, Mommy! Hindi nya sinabing may plano pala sila! Nagmukha tuloy akong tanga sa harap ng crush ko," Sumbong nito na ikinatawa ni Mama Hyacinth habang ako'y napangiti. Oo din, mukha nga syang tanga kanina.

And it seemed as if she heard my whisper, which is impossible because she glared at me. Ang lakas talaga ng pakiramdam.

"Pwede ka namang bumawi at ipakita mong karapat-dapat ka. Sa ngayon, ipagluto mo muna. Remember, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach," This is what's good with Mama Hyacinth, she's really supportive to her daughter that she'll do everything to make them happy. Of course, sino ba ang may ayaw sumaya ang kanilang mga anak?

"O kaya Mommy, ihain ko ang sarili ko para may makain sya?" Farrah asked with her innocent voice as if she's asking it innocently. . . and in herself only, as my eyes widened at what I heard. Nasamid rin ako na para bang may iniinom ako ngunit hindi!

Yet Mama Hyacinth's expression caught me as she glared at Farrah- dangerously and scary, in which, the teenager just laughed so loud as if she purposely said it to get in her mother's wits. "Kidding, Mommy!" Sabi nito at nagtatakbo at pumasok sa isang pinto mula doon.

Naiiling ngunit nangingiti si Mama Hyacinth nang makita ko ito. I know that she's really proud of how her beautiful Angels grew even though Farrah is really naughty and jolly. Well, who wouldn't be proud? Kahit ako ay proud sa paglaki ni Farrah dahil lumaki itong may mabuting puso.

Mama Hyacinth, then, looked at me. "Let's go? We need to put a cure in your injury before it gets worst than it actually is," She said, smiling at me before I felt some scientists hold my back gently as if leading me, as when I look at them, even though they have their masks on, I know they're smiling at me- based on how the side of their eyes wrinkled as they lead me to the way they used to come here.

They're actually my second family, so as Farrah to my parents. Since Farrah doesn't have such a complete family, my parents volunteered to become her parents every time there's a family party in our school. Sa halos lagi ba naming magkaklase, at minsan lamang umaattend ang Tatay nya noon sa mga ganong programa, kung ako ang nasa kanyang posisyon ay malulungkot din ako. Napag alaman rin naming dati pala silang magbest friend kaya't mas lalo kaming naging close sa isa't-isa.

I remembered back then that Farrah brought me to Mama Hyacinth's new house, and that's when I learned why they broke up- because Mr. Fajardo doesn't have time with Mama Hyacinth. And there, they decided to broke up, in which Mr. Fajardo remarried his co-worker. At the same time, Mama Hyacinth is busy with other things.

I never thought that the reason is much deeper than it.

And I never thought that at just an early age, Farrah and Ate Freya already experienced hell.

While walking, I couldn't help but wonder about those people we've left, those who've been captured, and, more importantly, what are those people going to do to those they've caught. As I couldn't stop myself. . .

"Mama Hya, can I ask regarding those people they've caught?" What I asked made them stop, as I know what I asked is something serious that's why I saw how the changes in their expressions occurred after I said it.

Before Mama Hyacinth answered my question.

"They will be added to those people they're experimenting with. Lab rats? Guinea pigs? Name it," As this time, I was the one who halted as I looked at them, couldn't believe what I just heard.

"L-Lab rats?" Tears suddenly fell from my eyes as if waterfalls as I couldn't contain myself.

Maybe that's why. . . Farrah's expression is so dark as if something terrible will happen to them. Her expression says that leaving them is such a bad thing to do!

"But don't worry about it, as we have a person inside that place. With him, we will be able to save your friends," Mama Hyacinth said as I stare at her with full of hope in my eyes, in which she stares back at me as if she's giving me hope.

She's motivating me not to lose hope since there are many alternative solutions if one failed to execute.

And that's something I'm holding on to as of right now.