Old People On Buses

This happened yesterday, but I didn't want to overload y'all with my salt so I decided to post this today. 

So yesterday (Sunday for me) was Mother's Day, so I went out with my Mom and Grandma for lunch, went to a park, watched a movie, etc. and overall had a very good time. Now all of this took place in the center of Rome, and because we do not live in the center of Rome, we have to catch the bus to go to and back home. It's a pretty long trip, with a lot of stops, and usually, in the afternoon, it's filled with people who go home after work/spending the day out. So I get on in the center, at the first stop—which is generally empty if you get there early enough—and was lucky enough to find a seat, as were my other two family members. It's right at the front of the bus, on a step, and there isn't a lot of leg room. Remember this, for now.

So the bus chugs off, I'm looking out the window admiring the city, and, gradually, the bus starts to fill up with people at every stop. We aren't four stops into the trip that the bus is already overloaded—my thoughts were, "Hehehe suckers, I get to sit while y'all stand." But I must've jinxed myself, because, all of a sudden, someone jabs my fucking shoulder. I turn to them like, "What the hell?" and it's this lady , surrounded by other ladies, and the group is glaring at me simultaneously. 

If looks could kill, I would've been nothing but a pile of ash on that seat. 

 In the middle of the brood is an old man, with a cane. One of them said, "Excuse me, he needs to sit down." I didn't want to cause a scene (in retrospect, I should've, or at least, feign ignorance) so I got off my seat and went towards the middle of the bus, so I could stand beside my mother. Did I already say that the bus was full? Because it's not even an exaggeration; I'm talking about a not-even-enough-room-to-stand-without-pressing-up-against-someone type of full—and I had a massive stomachache (too much pizza?). It was a pain for me to stand.

Now, I'm going to get straight to the point. What really fucking bothered me is this sense of entitlement older people have when it comes to things like this. Firstly, it wasn't even a seat designated to the old/disabled/pregnant, because, as I said before, it's pretty tricky to access for people in one of those three categories. The old man didn't either thank me, or manage to get into the fucking seat. A pregnant tourist and her kid in the seat in line with that one had to discommode herself to let this old guy sit. It took him 10 minutes to sit—then the tourist that had taken my original spot got off at the next stop, leaving the spot open to someone else.

I'll make one thing very clear—if I'm ever sitting in a spot designated to a senior citizen, I won't even hesitate for a second before giving up my spot for them. I've done it tons of times before, and it's never a problem for me. It's common courtesy. But what really ANNOYS ME (see how it's all in caps) is when someone invades MY personal space and demands that I give up my spot, like it's not my right to just sit there and show them all the finger. Because then, I'D be in the wrong.

I didn't even get a "thank-you" or anything, and that's the least he (and they) could've done, since, you know, I had to remain standing for another 10 stops, feeling like shit, and ensuring that no one stole my bag. I find it hilarious how older people always have the nerve to criticize the younger generations for being "disrespectful" and "ungrateful", but when they do the same, and usually worse, we just have to accept them for how they are. Because they're old. 

The moral of the story is—it's inherently your choice whether you get up or not. If someone goes and invades YOUR BUBBLE, or speaks to you in a way that is rude and demanding, don't feel obligated to do anything you don't want to do. People can't demand politeness from you and do the opposite. 

Do unto others as you want them to do unto you. 

I promised myself to not let stuff like this happen anymore.

🍟🍟🍟

Is there something that you're itching to complain about, but have the good sense not to do so on a public forum? I can do it for you! Feel free to PM me with the topic you want me to rant about, and I won't think twice before adding it here. I'll be waiting!