Plagiarism

(Update Part 2: He managed to get a new account through. Sad times.)

-

One of the first things we learn along with the basics of writing an essay is that you shouldn't plagiarize.

Plagiarism is defined as: "an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author." (dictionary.com)

Once the teacher is finished droning on about topic sentences and conclusions, they then proceed to slap on your desk a five-hundred-page journal on Harvard style citation. Within this referencing bible are the explanations for formatting the citation for each and every source in existence. If you use a quote from a book, the citation is one way, if you use a phrase from your grandmother's memoir, there is a different citation. 

Citing every single quote/phrase you use from someone else is tedious work (I remember when I was in high school it would take me HOURS to footnote + write out my bibliography because I always forgot the sources. Now there's a website that does it for you. It's honestly a lifesaver and it's called EasyBib. I'll put it as an external link for y'all) but it's the RIGHT thing to do. You know why? 

Because it's unfair to use someone else's words and ideas without giving them credit for it.

YOU weren't the one that came up with the original, someone else did. And yes, there's such thing as paraphrasing plagiarism, which is when you basically just rephrase the original sentence into your own words. For example:

Original: The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Paraphrased: The powerhouse of the cell is the mitochondria.

You still have to cite it.

I don't understand what people gain from plagiarising other people's works. You think nobody would notice? Nah, fam. Someone will ALWAYS notice, and when they do, they'll splatter it all over social media like your friend's husband's jizz on your face. When your friend (and the rest of humanity) finds out about your disgusting betrayal, they won't hesitate to crucify you for it. You will lose all credibility forever, and you will die alone surrounded by empty Cheetos bags. 

A great example of a disgusting plagiariser is Melania Trump. 

This happened some time ago now, but I think it's a great example of plagiarism. This woman's 2016 speech copied parts of Michelle Obama's 2008 speech practically word-for-word. 

Don't believe me? Here are some examples:

Michelle: 

— 'And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them.

— 'Because we want our children – and all children in this nation – to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.'

Melania: 

— 'My parents impressed on me the value of that you work hard for what you want in life.'

'That your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise.'

'That you treat people with respect. Show the values and morals in in the daily life.'

— 'We need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. [Cheering] Because we want our children in these nations to know that the only limit to your achievement is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.'

[I've highlighted the parts Melania clearly plagiarised]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3696859/Did-Melania-Trump-plagiarize-Michelle-Obama-Donald-s-wife-accused-copying-two-passages-Lady-s-2008-Democratic-Convention-speech.html#ixzz4GFb8UnKY  

For all you Drumpf supporters out there saying that her speechwriters are to blame and not Melania, she said in an interview that she wrote it herself 'with a little help'. 

The truth is, that even though she lied about being the one writing the speech (I mean, it was obviously dumbed down for her

The truth is, that even though she lied about being the one writing the speech (I mean, it was obviously dumbed down for her. She sounded like she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about) and actually had a team of office monkeys to do it for her in the Trump tower, it's the fact that she went up there on stage and SAID THE SPEECH!!! So she's just as guilty as the monkeys!!!!

Anyway, plagiarism also happens here on Wattpad. It's not rare for authors to find their ENTIRE BOOK copied word-for-word on a different account, by a slithering snake who wants a slice of that fame.

Tbh those who do that have NO LIFE because you can't just copy-paste paragraphs. You have to actually sit down and write it all out again. 

Then there are those people who translate an entire book without asking the author first...

Like in Melania's case, there are those who will, in addition, attempt to justify their snakelike ways by saying that they were "inspired". Uhhhhhh no. There's a difference between being inspired and plagiarising. 

For Deadly Secrets, I've felt inspired by a myriad of action movies. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'M GOING TO GO OUT THERE AND COPY A SCENE FROM THE MOVIE AND CALL IT MY OWN WORK!!!!!!

 BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'M GOING TO GO OUT THERE AND COPY A SCENE FROM THE MOVIE AND CALL IT MY OWN WORK!!!!!!

It's really not that hard of a concept!!!

So @ those who plagiarise and have the AUDACITY to call it THEIR OWN WORK.

FUCK Y'ALL ALL Y'ALL

-

Btw sorry for the super late update. Hope y'all still love me <3 

🍟🍟🍟

Is there something that you're itching to complain about, but have the good sense not to do so on a public forum? I can do it for you! Feel free to PM me with the topic you want me to rant about, and I won't think twice before adding it here. I'll be waiting!