Slut Shaming

"A slut is someone, usually a woman, who's stepped outside of the very narrow lane that good girls are supposed to stay within. Sluts are loud. We're messy. We don't behave. In fact, the original definition of "slut" meant "untidy woman." But since we live in a world that relies on women to be tidy in all ways, to be quiet and obedient and agreeable and available (but never aggressive), those of us who color outside of the lines get called sluts. And that word is meant to keep us in line." 

~Jacyln Friedman~

-:- 

As y'all may know (or don't know, you'll know now), I read a lot of Teenfic. In Teen fic there's a common thread which is slut-shaming. Also in real-life is there a common thread called slut-shaming, but I'll get to that later on. 

In high-shool stories, we are usually introduced to the main antagonist, a preppy cheerleader, who, as soon as her name is given, is introduced to the reader as the school slut. 

Me: Who's that? 

Whiny MC: Oh...her. *snorts* *rolls eyes* *adjusts glasses* That's Amanda, she's the head cheerleader and she's the biggest slut in scho—

Me: 

Take your judgemental, hypoctrical ass out of here

Take your judgemental, hypoctrical ass out of here. You'll be on the bad boy's dick in ten chapters anyway so check yourself before you Shrek yourself.  

Despite being such a small, four-letter word, the meaning behind the derogatory term slut  is appalling. A slut is a girl that:

1. Has casual sex.

2. Wears tight or "revealing" clothing. 

3. Engages in sexual activity outside a relationship throughout the duration of said relationship.

4. Has multiple sexual partners.

The question is: what's the problem with being a slut? 

-

 I went on Urban Dictionary and looked up the definition of the word "slut":

"A woman with the morals of a man."

"Someone who provides a very needed service for the community and sleeps with everyone, even the guy that has no shot at getting laid and everyone knows it. She will give him a sympathy fuck either because someone asked her to or she just has to fuck everyone she knows. These are great people, and without them sex crimes would definitly increase. Thank you slut, where ever you are."

"A girl thats fucked so many guys she cant close her legs anymore."

Woah.

I wasn't left speechless, because I knew what to expect, but I was revolted anyway. Look at those double-standards—a woman with the morals of a man. A man who has sex with lots of women is called a "player", is highly desirable, and instead of getting stoned or shunned, receives a pat on the back.