Wattpad Trolls

-:-

-:-

I run up the stairs to my apartment, my heart a raging bull in my chest.

Once I reach the familiar black door, I reach into my pocket and pull out the keys—my hands shake as I go through each and every one of them, and, more than once, the trembling leads to me dropping the bunch on the floor.

This one is for the gate, this one for the building entrance, this one for the other gate, the garage door... "Yes!" I triumphantly lift the right key in the air, a grin on my face, before I bring it back down and attempt to shove it into the keyhole. I miss about two or three times—annoyance mounts with each fail—but, finally, it makes it in and I twist it thrice to the left. Hearing the bolts slip back one after other restores some peace to my soul, and after I push the handle down and open the door, I slip inside my apartment and shut it behind. I don't waste time in re-locking the door and bolting it shut, but once that is done, I lean my back against the door and let out a relieved sigh. Home sweet home. Away, from all those inconsiderate assholes out there in the real world. 

Whistling a happy tune, I toss the keys into a wicker basket on a chair, kick my shoes off, and stride into my bedroom. It's been a while since I was able to check Wattpad—being out the whole day, battling the demons of ignorance, is no easy task for a teen like me. Especially when your phone has run out of credit and the speed of the Internet is akin to an old lady using a walker.

When I log into my account, I immediately notice the little red circle on the top right corner of my profile. A notification! When I click on it, I notice that I have not one, not two, but three of 'em! The most I've ever had! The mouse pointer is on it in a split second, but as soon as I see the nots, my face falls. They're all comments on my book (which should make anyone happy), but not of the good kind.

"Lol this sucks more than my ex-girlfriend."

"There are a lot of things wrong with this chapter. I won't tell you what they are, but know that this is as good as using shit as a facemask."

"My brother writes better than this, and he's four."

A part of me wants to jump in and fight them all, but the other part is hella chill and rational, despite the fact that steam is coming out of my nostrils and ears, and my face is the color of a baboon's butt. Answering the troll with profanities and mom jokes will do nothing but make them feel good about themselves—trolls feed on the negativity of others. 

Instead of dragging them through hell and back, I decide that the best weapon in this scenario is kindness. 

"Thanks for your kind words! *smiley face*" I reply to each and every one of them as I scream on the inside. I jab the Enter button and recline into my chair, feeling good about myself. Those anger management lessons are really taking effect. 

-:-

Trolls are everywhere on the Internet, even on Wattpad.

Just like read requesters, they're a plague that is impossible to vanquish. It's easy to be an asshole behind a fake profile because you know that even if the victim reports you and your account gets eliminated, you can always make another one and continue the vicious cycle, over and over, until your balls or ovaries burst with satisfaction. I seriously do not understand why people gotta be like that. There's enough terrible things in the world already; just switch on the news, and you're greeted with three bloody murders, a new serial killer on the loose, a terrorist attack, or Donald Trump's ugly-ass face.