RIP #Harambe

I'm not sure if y'all have read or heard about this story, as it happened pretty recently, but everything about it is so fucked up, I thought I should have a mini (or maxi) rant about it

I'm not sure if y'all have read or heard about this story, as it happened pretty recently, but everything about it is so fucked up, I thought I should have a mini (or maxi) rant about it. This Insta post pretty much summarises my thoughts and sentiment regarding the event, but I thought I should elaborate on it a little. After all, no matter how short a mini rant is, it can't be comprised of only an image.

This news story is a great example of how idiotic human beings can be—it's not the first time people "fall" into animal enclosures and either get themselves, the animal killed, or both. In fact, shit like this happens more often than it should. Just the other week, at Santiago Zoo in Chile, a man stripped naked and, with the intent to commit suicide, threw himself into a lion's cage. Not only did he get mauled alive (I won't link a video because it's very violent) but also resulted in two lions—a male and a female—getting put down. Years ago there was a story about a woman who stuck her arm into a wolf's cage because she wanted to "experience the wolf", and ended up in the hospital with a chewed off arm.

I could keep listing events, but the underlying message is clear: even though human beings are the ones that initiate contact with wild animals, who behave on instinct (if I was a lion and so a nice and juicy human, I'd move in for the kill), the poor creatures are always the ones that get put down in the end. Unsurprisingly, the people that cause this (and survive) never get charged for it, at least as far as I know.

Look at me, getting heated already and I haven't even gotten to the actual rant.

For those of you who are completely clueless about the story of Harambe the gorilla, I've attached a vid on top of the event. This will help you formulate your own view on the sequence of events, and even though it doesn't show what happened before and after, it gives you a good idea about how badly the entire thing situation was handled.

A lot of news headlines say that the boy allegedly "slipped and fell" into a gorilla enclosure, that the gorilla was "tossing him all over the place", and that killing the animal was the "only course of action." But y'all know how fake the media is, tryna twist the events as to victimise the perpetrators and shit, so I'm going to serve you the real tea.

*fills kettle with water*

1. "Slipped and fell"

Funny how news outlets like to use euphemisms to explain people's idiocy.

One does not simply slip and fall into a gorilla enclosure. The kid (who I think is three/four-years-old) went under a rail, through wires and over a moat wall to get into the enclosure. That isn't exactly slipping and falling is it? It's not that the kid slipped down a stream of oil, got his foot caught in a stray tree root, and got catapulted into the fucking thing.