Dean / Protecting Him

AN: This is a really sweet and heartfelt story! Please read to the end!
-------------------------------------------------------

You sit on the couch, watching some dumb TV show and munching on a bag of Lays chips. Just as you were about to fall asleep, bright lights flicker outside the window, followed by the low rumbling of a car. The engine turns off, turning off the lights as well.

You feel a burst of energy surge through you because you know Sam and Dean made it back safely from their case. You hop off the couch and run towards the motel door. You unlock the door, throwing it open to see Dean fumbling for his motel key. His eyes lock with yours, and a smile emerges on his face.

He steps forward, wrapping his arm around your lower back and immediately pulling you close to him. "Hey, babe." he says softly, leaving a light kiss on your cheek.

You wrap your arms around his neck and hug him tightly. "Hey, sweetheart." you coo back.

Your eyes flicker over to Sam, who is setting down his duffle bag and trying to stay quiet so he doesn't interupt you two. You release Dean from your hug and squeeze Sam into another hug. "Heya, Sammy. I'm glad you're safe."

You don't have to look up at Sam to know he's smiling. His body relaxes, and he hugs you back. "I'm glad you are too, (Y/N)."

"Well, I'm glad to know that (Y/N) cares about my brother's safety more than mine." Dean says sarcastically, obviously a little jealous of your affection towards Sam.

"Shut up, Dean," you laugh. You look up at Sam and say, "Don't listen to him. He's just upset that I think you're the coolest Winchester brother."

"I thought that was a given?" Sam smiles back, chuckling.

"Ha ha ha," Dean rolls his eyes. "Now that we've had our little love fest, why don't you leave us alone, so that I can spend time with my girl?"

My girl, you think, smiling. A shiver runs through your body. You'll never get over the feeling of being his. Dean Winchester's girl.

Sam held up his hands in defense, turned, and walked to the bedroom. Dean grabs you into a hug once more, this time closer and more loving. He'd never show Sam this affectionate side of him. Dean would believe himself to be "less masculine," if anyone saw it. You thought it just made him more of a man, and truly revealed how much love he possesses in his heart.

Dean took in a huge breath, his chest expanding against yours. He seemed to feel relaxed in your arms. After a job as hard as his, he absolutely needed to feel loved and wanted. You lean your head against him, your hand gently stroking the back of his neck and the bottom of his hairline.

Suddenly, Dean's body tensed up. Almost every muscle tightened.

He pulled away, walking to the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and grabbed a beer, quickly popping it open.

You're taken back at how fast he moved away, and knew that something was bothering him. "What's wrong?"

He looked down, avoiding your eyes. He took a swig of beer and sat down at the kitchen table. "Nothing, babe. Long day."

"And?" You cross your arms, making your way towards him.

"And," he says mockingly, "I'm tired."

"And hurt." you add.

He quickly looked up to you, and for a second you could see the pain in his eyes. He looked down again, taking another swig of beer.

You sit down and put your hand ontop of his. "You can tell me, Dean. Was it about me?"

He shook his head.

"Was it about Sammy?"

He shook his head.

"Was it about your mom?"

You could see his breath hitch. You had hit a nerve. Squeezing his hand, you plead, "Tell me about it. Please. I want to help you."

He was silent for a while. You decided not to push him, and waited in anticipation. Finally, he took in a huge breath, exhaled slowly, and said, "It was the demon we ganked tonight... It brought up my mom."

"What did it say?" You run your fingers over his hand softly, knowing that it calms him.

He took another minute before he answered, and you could tell that whatever the thing said, it had really hurt him.

"It said that he enjoyed torching my mom, and... That he had a lot of fun with her down in hell." Dean finally admitted. His hand clenched into a fist, and a vein began popping out of his neck. He bolted out of his chair and to the sink, pouring out the rest of his beer. He threw the bottle into the sink, shattering it. He put his hands on the counter and put his head down, trying to calm himself.

You get up slowly and walk over to him. You lay a hand on his back to see how he would react to your touch. When he didn't do anything, you wrapped your arms around his stomach, hugging him tightly from behind. The two of you stayed like that for a long time. Not saying a word. Not moving. Just being together, letting thoughts wonder and roam.

After a while, he turned around to face you, still in your arms. His eyes and cheeks were red, and tears streaked his face. His emerald green eyes gleamed with sadness. Up until this point, you hadn't seen him cry before.

You wipe his face with your hand. He closed his eyes, comforted by your touch. You rest your hand on the side of his face, feeling so much love for the broken man who stood before you. He buried his head into the crook of your neck. You begin stroking the back of his neck again, this time more soothingly and purposefully. His hands were gripping your hips tightly, because he was afraid that you would leave him. You whisper, "I will always be here for you, Dean. Forever."

His muscles relaxed even more, as if he needed to hear that. He straightens back up and looks into your eyes, brushing your hair back behind your ear.

You smile up at him and say, "Listen to me, Dean Winchester. I will keep you safe. I will be here for you. I will protect you. You understand?"

His eyes light up as he takes in your promises. You could see that he was stunned.

He doesn't say anything, and grabs you into another hug, holding you so close to him that you could hear his heartbeat.

You didn't need him to say anything. His reaction was enough. You knew he had understood and appreciated you. You knew that his whole life has been about protecting people, no matter how close they were to him. You knew that he would give anything up to keep someone safe. You knew that he wondered if anyone would do the same for him, besides his brother. You knew he was lonely, and felt unprotected.

Your words comforted him beyond anything you could ever imagine.

Because that's all that Dean Winchester needs.

Someone to protect him.