Chapter 3- The Masquerade

8 months later...August

Stefan punched his security code, placed his thumb on the pad, and waited patiently for the scanner to recognize his print. The doors automatically slid open, revealing his luxury penthouse apartment.

It was a recent purchase that he came across in the past year.  It was too unbearable for him to be alone in his grandfathers precious estate in Calabasas, California. 

The two-thousand square foot space offered him a terrific view of the city and it was well situated in downtown L.A. Where he would not have to worry about the long drive into town and the insufferable traffic in the mornings and nights.  

It was not a bachelor pad as most would assume.  It had a family vibe to it with luxury furnishings, polished floors, three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a spacious chefs kitchen, dining room, large den and a great room large enough for entertaining.

The balcony was Stefan's favorite. 

It was spacious, offered a great view of the busy hustle and bustle of downtown L.A.  The best part was the sun, there was no shadows, it was open and welcoming whenever he needed to relax and sit back.  It was nicely decorated with a outdoor furniture, jacuzzi, and large built-in grill.

Stefan deposits his hat, keys, and sunglasses on a nearby table. Racking a hand through his hair and exhaling loudly, he quirked his neck from left to right to relive some knots.   After hearing the pops he extended his arms up,  and stretched his back. 

He walked toward his kitchen and grabbed a water bottle from the fridge.  Noticing a red flash coming from the house phone he taps play.

"You have two new messages," the voice recorder said out loud.  Stefan bent over the kitchen counter and leaned on his elbows while listening.

First message:
"Hey Stef. It's me Nicole from last week.  I wanted to touch base with you and see if you wanted to get together this weekend?  I haven't heard back from you and I remember we really had a great date!  So....um let me know, I'd love to see you again!  Ok bye!"

Stefan raises his eyebrows and shakes his head in disappointment.  "Correction.  You had a great time.  I, on the other hand didn't.  No thank you. Next."  Replying back to his answering machine.

Second message:
"Hello Stefan, this is Jenny.  I hope I called the right number, well anyway...are you free tomorrow?  I'd like to see you again!  I really like you and I hope you feel the same way.  Call me!"

Stefan shook his head in disgust and took a deep calming breath.

"Well that was not attractive at all..."

"End of new messages. To erase, press 1." The answering machine voiced.

Stefan pressed one twice and erased both messages, adjusting his posture and shaking his head again. Talk about desperate.

"Have a little class ladies..." He mutters under his breath.

It doesn't matter how many times he makes the same mistake and ends up giving his number away.  Luckily he was smart enough not to give them his personal cell number.  These girls need some relationship advice.  The ones that throw themselves out there are the most unattractive ones. 

He liked the hard to get type. 

The small number of females he's gone out with recently were too clingy, typical and too eager for his taste. They were just empty distractions to his boring and lonely life with no characteristics he cared for. Many of them he met during company functions or a night out at a upscale club he and his buddies visited. And so far none of them held his interest.