Chapter 14- Little One

A awful, breaking, nearly crushing sensation crashed upon her. 

The deep evil chuckle that quickly vibrated through the line numbed every muscle in her body.  The scream ready to break free from Camelia's lips died down had it not been for her hand automatically clamping over her mouth. 

Trying to get her brain to work again, she struggled to grasp the severity of the complex situation that appeared quite unexpectedly. She was right to feel the warning in her gut.  It never let her down. 

"What do you want?" Her throat went dry as she tried to swallow forcefully.  

"You know what I want."  The male voice hissed.  "You, little one, will pay for the wrongs of the past."

Uncontrollable tremors of terror run through her bones as she listened and finally noticed the raspy sounds coming from a voice changing device he used allowing him to alter and hide his true voice. 

The hand holding the phone close to her ear began trembling.  She tried sitting upright, but her body shook like a leaf. After several attempts she barely managed to stand, stepping away from her bed and looking around frantically.  

Ripping her phone away from her ear, her gaze rests on the screen and notices no known number present.   It takes her several attempts to push the speaker button.  With quivering legs she rushes to her bedroom door to confirm it's locked.

"I know you're in your room little one, there's no escape."  He taunts.

The heavy pressure of watching eyes electrified her skin and the trembling reached her teeth as they rattled in fear.  She could hear the amusement in his tone and how much he was enjoying tormenting her.

Camelia slid away from the door, leaning against the wall for support.  She was almost certain all the blood drained from her face earlier but this time, she actually felt herself pale as a white sheet of paper.  She stared at the door half expecting someone try to break it down in the next instant.

"You're not going to get away with this!"  She cried. 

"You poor helpless child.  It's all I have ever lived for in the past two decades.  I've had many years to plan my revenge.  No matter who you have protecting you, rest assured I will be one hundred steps ahead."  His sick evil chuckle fills every corner of the walls surrounding her. 

"Go to hell you bastard!"  She screams into the phone, tossing it to the ground with all her might, watching it tumble countless times until it lay flat and face down.  Due to her quivering legs, Camelia slides into a heap on the floor, her fingers curling into the carpet in despair.

The world around her began crumbling. 

The only sounds in the room was her heavy breathing and the deep, vibrating, cold laughter of the monster on speaker finding joy in terrorizing her.  He was torturing her emotionally.  Grasping her head firmly she tried desperately to control the silent tears streaming down her face and worked on regulating the rhythm of her heart rate by inhaling heaping gulps of air. 

The horrific images of what could happen to her flashed before her eyes–kidnapped, tortured, killed

She should have mentally prepared herself more for what was to come. But it was too late. He would kill her if he got a hold of her, and there was no one around to help her. The dread building and piling up in her head was quickly crushing any hope of rescue.