Chapter 32-Envy

February

Time passed and pain turned into memories.

Days were occupied by school and nights were spent planning, calling and setting appointments for the wedding. Life for Camelia had been non-stop since, leaving no place for her mind to wander back to needless past events.

The wedding date was set for the first day of spring which was closely approaching in March.  It was the only time during the year aside from winter break Camelia was allowed a vacation from school. She insisted the sooner the better, refusing to wait until the summer when she graduated–much to the dismay of her family. 

They approved of Kivanç, seeming to have no reservations thanks to his outwardly collected and inviting manner, friendly personality and constant presence amongst them for the last few months.  However, they did not approve of the short engagement. 

It was her father rather than her mother who stood as a road block in her path.  Believing she should stop before rushing into marriage and wait at least a year.  But Camelia absolutely refused to over think anything ever again.  Why prolong her happiness?  Why prolong the future?  She would argue. 

It went on for days after Kivanç's proposal. 

Annie was quiet through many heated discussions.  Standing silently listening.  The way her hooded gaze soaked in everything, the sharp knowledge in her knowing eyes–It slightly bothered Camelia how intuitive her mother was.  Without revealing any of the personal details of her decision, Camelia was positive her mother understood the why she chose to move forward with Kivanç. 

On the fourth day of arguments back and forth, a exasperated Camelia finally declared, "Kivanç makes me happy, why are you standing in the way of what I need right now?"

Whatever triggered her mother in their last argument Camelia did not know.  It was then Annie took it upon herself, stepped in and seized the situation. "Julien..." Placing a hand over her husbands arm, and in a the softest voice spoke three simple words.  "Let it go." 

Julien was taken aback to say the least.  But the authority and assurance in which she spoke rendered him speechless.   They were just simple words but with obvious impact.  Just like magic, it was as if her mother snapped her fingers and granted her a wish, after that night he stopped badgering her.  Even after declaring she and Kivanç planned to move to Istanbul after the threat against her life was extinguished, he never uttered another word to try and sway her decision.   

They saw how adamant and self-assured she was.  Her father was not pleased but she knew he would not stand in the way of her happiness. 

The rest of the family was surprised of the news during the New Year's Eve party.  Congratulations were given and everyone seemed genuinely happy for the two of them.  However, Jasmine, her ever protective older sibling appeared speculative of the speedy engagement. 

"Are you sure about this?"  Jamsine asked, pulling her aside during the party. 

"Yes, I'm sure."

"I know you made a wish at your birthday to find the man of your dreams, I just didn't think he would have dropped out of the sky so soon."  She commented, referring to the last things she asked Camelia before her birthday party.  "I mean, I feel like you barely know him."