Chapter 49- Tale As Old As Time (Part 2)

"May I have this dance?" He asks.

"Kivanç? I-I don't understand...what–"

"I asked your husband permission to be here." He explains.

Camelia quickly flickers her gaze to Stefan who was watching them intently. Her stomach plummeted down to her Jimmy Choo's.

He gives her a silent nod. It was true then, Stefan invited him here. She didn't realize she was holding her breath until it exploded from her lips. She hated being confused. Why didn't he ever bother telling her?

"I needed to see you and say a proper goodbye one last time. He was gracious enough to invite me here today." He answers as if he read her thoughts. "May I...dance with you?"

Camelia spent several moments battling her astonishment. She couldn't very well turn him away with the kindness and sincerity in which he asked.

"All right."

Kivanç and Camelia get into position.  The feel of his hands on her felt wrong for some odd reason as they began to sway to the slow tempo music.

"I learned of what happened to you and I needed to see for myself you were well." He began. "I personally contacted Stefan some weeks ago. I must be honest, I never expected him to allow me to come and see you. But I sensed he understood why..."

Camelia lowers her lashes then looked back into his eyes. His gaze lingered on her face until she felt herself flush. "As you can see I'm fine.  I never expected to ever see you again, Kivanç."  Looking slightly embarrassed at her words, however, he kept a neutral expression on his face as he listened.  "I'm sorry for what my cousin did. You did not deserve her lies and deceit. And I'm sorry for my accusations and hurtful words."

Kivanç gave a small harsh laugh. "Yes, Gloriana."  He grimaced.  "Seems like she fooled the best of us." He sighs. "I'm here to personally apologize for my behavior and I would like you to know how much I regret everything. It seems you and I were never meant to be."

His last words made her slightly uncomfortable. Finally his pretenses came to the surface. 

Camelia did not manage a smile, only a solemn nod. "My heart was never yours, Kivanç. It was always Stefan's whether I knew it or not at the time."

"I felt it somehow, call it intuition but it could never stop how I felt for you... how I still feel." Camelia tenses in his arms. "Pardon my directness, I did not come to make you uncomfortable. I only want to say goodbye and I wish you a life of happiness with your new husband."

She relaxes again. "I'm sure you'll find someone who'll earn your love and love you the way you deserve in return."

Kivanç nods reluctantly. "Perhaps..."

As if on queue, Stefan's tall frame comes into view. He gives Kivanç a sideways glance.

"May I cut in?"

The sheer authority in his voice showed their conversation was over.

"Of course. Thank you again." Kivanç says and holds an outstretched arm for a handshake.

Stefan grasps his hand tightly.

Kivanç turns to Camelia one last time. "Goodbye, Camelia."

"Goodbye Kivanç."

They both watch as Kivanç exits the ballroom and never looks back.

"What was all that about? Why would you let him come here?"  She finally asks, turning to her husband.