Chapter 46-His Wife

While the doctor worked on stitching the wound to her throat. Stefan stood beside the bed, holding Camelia's hand, trailing his gaze every so often to his fiancée's closed eyes. She passed out in his arms and never stirred once during the trip back to the mainland.

A worried and paranoid Stefan went to the hospital at once slamming through the doors, shoving aside anyone in his way, carrying her into the Emergency Room while quickly shouting instructions to the bewildered staff.

After explaining what had happened to her, Stefan had to take a steadying breath as he handed Camelia off to those best prepared to help her. His body missed the physical connection between them instantly once they ordered a gurney and laid her upon it. His arms felt empty without her reassuring weight.

The unstable beast lurking just beneath the surface of his skin nearly burst when they pushed her gurney into a white bright room, hooking her up to a bunch of beeping machines. His hands fisted to his sides as he watched them stab her with needles and poked and prodded her in order to help her.

It took all his effort not to break something in an effort to ease his frustration. He ground his jaw and kept his hands fisted, witnessing the bustle of people, the beep of machines and Camelia laying lifelessly on the bed and pale.  The delicate blue veins in her neck and forehead stood out abnormally against her skin.

Nothing eased the heavy pressure in his chest now that she was in his sight and it hasn't been removed completely.  Taking a deep breath, he suppresses the instinctive swell of anger and could only watch. 

Blood work was quickly taken, her pulse and blood pressure was monitored for over an hour. They quickly ruled she was extremely dehydrated and immediately began a IV drip into her arm. After they deemed that she was not in any danger and the cut to her throat was none life threatening, Dr. Hamza came in and cleaned the wound and sterilized the area before beginning the procedure.

The Turkish doctor worked diligently even with Liam and Sam standing there mere feet away fully armed and pinning him with their hostile stares.

Clipping the end of the suture with a pair of surgical scissors, the doctor swiveled on his stool and placed everything on the tray beside the table. Taking a small amount of gauze, he covered the perfect stitch and applied a clear bandage, padding the sides to ensure it stuck well.

He removed his gloves and switched his gaze to Stefan's.

The elderly man's hair was greying and the prescription glasses he wore were so thick, his eyes enlarged to an abnormal size reminding Stefan of a frog. Before he could speak, a nurse silently knocks on the slightly open door and enters mutely handing the doctor a thin file and exits.

Dr. Hamza adjusts his glasses on the bridge of his nose, opens the file and reviews the report of Camelia's test results. After a few moments he shuts the file with a satisfied nod. 

"The cut was deep and she has suffered some blood loss but does not need a transfusion." Dr. Hamza informs him with a thickly laced accent. "The bandage and gauze will need to be replaced every forty-eight hours. I recommend she refrain from any strenuous activity for the next three weeks until the skin has been given time to seal together and heal properly."

"Will you be prescribing anything for the pain?"  Stefan asks, adjusting his posture and standing erect.

"Yes, of course.  According to what has happened to her she will need them.  Bruises have already formed on certain areas of her body and the minor scrapes should not give her any trouble.  The discomfort will stem from the open wound and the physical strain she was under."